Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Schmidttaylor
Channel Surfer

Roku hasn’t fixed hotel Wi-Fi issue yet

This has actually been posted before I think back in 2019, and yet there’s still no fix that I know of for the dorm/hotel connection issue. The prompt for connecting doesn’t always come up (more often it doesn’t). We have a 5th wheel and travel so it helps when we can use the Wi-Fi. So 4 years later do we have a fix? Not just restarting anything, we need an actual new set up. An update. Figure it out. 

update: I’ve tried the network update, network reset, tried over and over again. It’s really random when it decides to work. Here’s the other thread I was referring to where others tried to post their concerns and no real fixes were available. https://community.roku.com/t5/Wi-Fi-connectivity/Roku-not-showing-hotel-prompt/td-p/501664/page/3

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku hasn’t fixed hotel Wi-Fi issue yet

Hi @Schmidttaylor

Thank you for the post.

If you are encountering difficulties connecting your Roku device to hotel Wi-Fi networks, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

• Check for Software Updates: Ensure that your Roku device is running the latest software version. To manually check for updates, go to the "Settings" menu, select "System," and then choose "System update." Updating to the latest software version might include improvements or bug fixes related to network connectivity.
  • Reset Network Settings: You can try resetting the network settings on your Roku device. Go to the "Settings" menu, select "Network," and then choose "Set up connection." Follow the on-screen instructions to reconnect your Roku device to the hotel Wi-Fi network.
  • Contact Hotel or Network Provider: If you're experiencing persistent issues with hotel Wi-Fi connections, it may be beneficial to contact the hotel's IT support or the network provider's customer support. They might be able to assist you with any specific network settings or configurations required for connecting a Roku device.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
happy_streamer
Binge Watcher

@Schmidttaylor Which hotel?

0 Kudos
Schmidttaylor
Channel Surfer

See this thread, read a few pages in. Hotel/dorm prompt doesn’t come up. I’ve tried network reset, unplugging everything, etc.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Wi-Fi-connectivity/Roku-not-showing-hotel-prompt/td-p/501664/page/3

0 Kudos
Schmidttaylor
Channel Surfer

I have done the first two. I’m not at a hotel I’m in my rv so it’s not as easy as just calling and figuring out, it’s a very basic Wi-Fi in a campground in the mountains. 

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Schmidttaylor,

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We're happy to help you with your problem connecting to your Wi-Fi network. We'd like to know more about the issue you ran into.

• What device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV-specify TV)
  • How far is your device from your network router?
  • What do you see on your screen when trying to connect to your network? (before putting in the network credentials)
  • Is there any error message or code you are getting after trying to connect to your network? (after putting in the network credentials)
  • Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.
Best regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Schmidttaylor
Channel Surfer

1. Roku streaming stick I think (stick with cord in back of tv) 

2. I’m not using a router, it’s rv Wi-Fi at a campground but we are within 50feet of a tower. 
3. Before connecting it shows up as a network, tried connecting, the first check sometimes comes up and then the x for the second box comes up. 
4. error message: Unable to connect to internet

5. it does connect to hotspot but that’s limited and only lasts a few days, whereas we are full time Rvers so we stay here a month at a time and need the Wi-Fi we pay to use up here. 

I tried doing it through the private network, resetting the network, unplugging the tv and Roku stick multiple times. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Schmidttaylor,

Thanks for keeping us posted and providing the information.

Since you were able to connect to your hotspot, the issue might rely on the network you're trying to connect with. Have you tried contacting the network provider's support and inquiring further about the issue you're experiencing? If not, we recommend trying it for more information and a solution.

Please let us know what you find out.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Schmidttaylor
Channel Surfer

How is it an issue with the network if everything connects to the network? The only reason I can’t connect is because the dorm/hotel sign in prompt does not come up. This was brought up in that other thread 3 years ago. If you could manually sign in without the prompt it would solve this issue. Like if you add in another option where it says to look for more connections or sign in to private network and the option could ask if you are signing in on a personal device like the prompt says, it would solve this issue. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Schmidttaylor,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We understand you wanted to connect your Roku to the hotel and dorm connections. Help is here. We suggest performing a network reset to see more networks, and we can see if the hotel and dorm are visible.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Advanced System Settings.
  4. Select Network connection reset.
  5. Select Reset connection.

Note: After the network reset, your Roku device will restart, and you will need to return to the Settings menu and set up your wireless network again.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos