Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
im_dneece6
Visitor

Roku Ultra won't connect via Wired connection

Jump to solution

I've seen other threads on this topic but they're all locked and I can't ask questions or follow-up. I just got a Roku Ultra player and I'm trying to get the best experience I can so I'm trying to use a Wired connection. I've tried various cables and varying ethernet ports on my router but no matter what, the Roku will not find a connection. I've tried using the cable and the port that I have another device plugged into -- that device works with the setup, the Roku does not. If I switch the player to using a wireless connection - everything's fine. It just will not use a wired connection - which is what I want to set up. Advice please!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra won't connect via Wired connection

Jump to solution

Thanks for letting us know what you are seeing.

We recommend rebooting both your router and your Roku device. We would also recommend trying another ethernet cable.

The error code you mentioned is detailed in our Support resources here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
78 REPLIES 78
Elijah_Baley
Visitor

Jump to solution
"im_dneece6" wrote:
I've seen other threads on this topic but they're all locked and I can't ask questions or follow-up. I just got a Roku Ultra player and I'm trying to get the best experience I can so I'm trying to use a Wired connection. I've tried various cables and varying ethernet ports on my router but no matter what, the Roku will not find a connection. I've tried using the cable and the port that I have another device plugged into -- that device works with the setup, the Roku does not. If I switch the player to using a wireless connection - everything's fine. It just will not use a wired connection - which is what I want to set up. Advice please!

If you have done all you say then my advice is to return the Ultra and exchange for another. The Ethernet port seems to be bad.
My Ultras (I have two) work just fine wired and I had zero problems with the connections from the start.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
TJC472
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem. I just received my Roku Ultra and it won't connect with a wired connection. The wireless connection works okay.  I want to take advantage of the speed delivered with a wired connection.  I've tried restarting several times and I've rebooted the router a couple of times.  I keep getting the error code 012 went I try to set up the wired connection.  Any advice is welcome.

Tags (1)
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for letting us know what you are seeing.

We recommend rebooting both your router and your Roku device. We would also recommend trying another ethernet cable.

The error code you mentioned is detailed in our Support resources here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TJC472
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I changed out the Ethernet cable and the Roku Ultra connected with a wired connection.  I don't understand how this solved the problem b/c the replaced Ethernet cable works fine in other places with other devices.  But hey, replacing the cable solved the problem, so I won't complain.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same problem.  Brand new cable. Other LAN connections are working. Rebooted like five times. 

0 Kudos
TJC472
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I know this will sound crazy but it worked for me... Change out the ethernet cable.  I know the one you have is new and it works everywhere else, I had the same situation.  That said as a last resort I changed the cable and voila the "different" cable made everything work perfectly.  It does not make sense but it works, give it a try.

Good luck

0 Kudos
rain

Jump to solution

Your response regarding Roku not connecting via a wired connection, providing a link you suggest will help, was a farce.  The link speaks to wireless connections not working - NOT a wired connection.

The brief section on wired connections merely tells the reader that a wired connection gives better access.  We all know that which is the reason we are questioning why Roku will not acknowledge a wired connection!

I purchased 3 Roku devices and not one will give a wired connection.  I have tried different cables and rebooted devices, none of it works.  Wireless connects without a problem but I should be able to use a wired connection since it is offered.

Please give details on how to make this work and not send me to a link about setting up a wireless connection.

rain

AL81
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem.  However I used to get a wired connection fine.  We got a new gateway from Comcast, and now no matter what we try the Roku TV and our Roku stick won't recognize a wired connection.  Very frustrating.  Seams there is a non compatibility between Roku and Modems now. My Xbox one works fine on the same cable. 

UtWildCat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Amen!

I have the same problem. I using a brand new Ultra out of the box. I have rebooted my router, used several new ethernet cables--all with the same wiring configuration--and cannot connect. Yet other devices connect using the same cables.

Given the high number of connection issues with Ultra via ethernet, logic dictates the problem lies with Roku. There seems to be a quality issue. We are not getting satisfactory help from Roku Support, which is extremely frustrating. Continuously posting the same copy/paste reply to swap cables, reboot router, and "check this link" to wireless connecting isn't support; it's ignoring the issue.