Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mullttack
Reel Rookie

Roku TV makes the internet go out completly

When I go to setup a internet connection everything is successful. When I try to open up any streaming app it disconnects from the internet and makes the router restart kicking everything else off as well. Anybody have any idea.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TV makes the internet go out completly

@mullttack

This could be anything from a corrupted setting or setup, a DHCP server or DNS resolution error to the router having an issue with transmission rates.

Do you only have one (1) router? Anything plugged into its ethernet ports?

Describe your setup a bit. Include modem, router, Roku model numbers and any network peripherals you may be using. (Any VPNs, Pi-holes, custom firmware or custom DNS addresses being used?)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
mullttack
Reel Rookie

So, I have the Hisense Smart Roku TV R6G 50 inch. When I go to set up the wireless internet connection everything is successful. as soon as I open up a streaming app it kicks the TV off internet and my phone and everything else in the house. I do not have anything plugged in to the router box and I have not messed with any settings after the Vyve worker set it up.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Are you connecting to the 2.4 GHz wifi band or the 5 GHz wifi band?

Your problem may have been caused by an update to your router which affects some Roku models. If you receive this update it changes the router's wifi connection parameters for the 2.4 GHz wifi band from b/g/n to g/n. This has been reported for routers supplied by Comcast/xFinity, Cox, and AT&T, but there may be others.

Affected users report the Roku identifies the local network as available and rates the connection quality, but will not then connect. The fix is to switch the router configuration protocols from the g/n wifi set by the update back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's configuration controls you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Thanks to forum user @AvsGunnar for providing the links below to instructions for reconfiguring router settings for the listed internet suppliers. If you can't do this yourself, you may need to contact your internet provider to make these changes for you:

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos