Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HJakubs
Reel Rookie

Roku Express will not connect to internet with T-mobile hotspot

Does that mean that YOU DID FINALLY get the Roku EXPRESS to CONNECT??PLMK 🤗

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express will not connect to internet with T-mobile hotspot

Hi @HJakubs

Thanks for reaching out here in Roku Community. 

We do not have enough details based on your post. Are you having an issue connecting your Roku device to the network? Do you receive an error message or code? Kindly specify if there's any issue you are experiencing. 

With more details, we can assist you further. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
HJakubs
Reel Rookie

Yes. Have a mobile hotspot that I want to use an y internet connection. It finds my hotspot but won't connect. Only one green then a red x. Throws a 0009 code. I have already switched it to 2.4 hz in configuration but still no success connecting. the Roku EXPRESS Able to connect to a mobile hotspot?? Thx in advance 

0 Kudos
HJakubs
Reel Rookie

My phone/mobile hotspot says Im connected to roku... But Roku keeps saying there's a connection 0009 problem. I've restarted it and it hasn't changed anything

Please advise I'm ready to just go get my money back. It shouldn't be this challenging smh

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@HJakubs 

In your phone's Settings, look for your APN (Access Point Name), and verify that IPv4 is enabled.  Most mobile hotspots will be configured for IPv4 and IPv6. (IPv4/IPv6).  

Roku does not currently support IPv6, so will need to at least have the IPv4 showing in these settings for Roku to access the internet.  If only IPv6 is enabled, this is the likely culprit of your 009 (no internet error).

On T-mobile hotspot devices (not the mobile hotspots, but the actual home hotspot devices), some are currently having issues even when IPv4/IPv6 is enabled, so the fix for that is to just use IPv4-only when using with Roku devices.

On Androids, the APN is generally located under Settings/More/Cellular Networks/Access Point Names/[then click on the listed APN to Edit and view].  Then look under the APN Roaming protocol to see what IP protocols are being used. (this is where you should see IPv4/IPv6).

Depending on carrier, some mobile hotspots can be edited, some cannot.  If yours are all greyed out on your phone, call the carrier and see what they can do.  If you can edit them, then enable IPv4.  Alternatively, just create a new APN with the exact settings of the existing one, and of course, enable IPv4. (Essentially, you are just cloning the original APN).

----

See if the above if your issue.  If it is not, I would change the password in the hotspot, and then make sure to enter the new password correctly in the Roku network screen.  Alternatively, in the Roku, go to Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection.   Then when the Roku device reboots, enter this new password. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Chicken
Roku Guru

Yes, by "copying" one of the profiles, selecting and then modifying the profile as described earlier in this thread.Pretty sure "profile" was the correct term, it's been about a year now.  Another point I recall was hotspot configuration wasn't particularly user-friendly, the user interface is a little unconventional.

0 Kudos
Chicken
Roku Guru

Logging into your hotspot configuration web page interface for the 1st time, it requires you to change the password from the factory default.

So grab a computer that's connected to your hotspot network, open the web browser application and navigate to your hotspot's configuration web address.  From there, you have to create a new password if not already done before you can change any hotspot configuration settings. 

You're looking to change the hotspot APN configuration as described in this thread.

I had other devices that couldn't access the hotspot wifi as well and by making this change to the hotspot APN "profile" those devices were also finally able to reach the internet.

So the problem isn't the roku device or other devices attempting to access the hotspot, the problem is the hotspot won't allow the connection.

Chicken
Roku Guru

The issue I experienced was with a t-mobile Franklin mobile hotspot APN configuration.  This was some time ago but the reconfigure suggestion provided earlier in this thread resolved the problem, entirely.

I may not have discovered the solution at all if it weren't for this thread, or it most certainly would've been more painful.  I can't imagine what others face if they are unfamiliar with wifi vs internet and how they're "wired" via protocols implemented wirelessly.

0 Kudos