Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itsangelaw

Roku Express not connected to wifi and remote makes noise but does not control toggling

My wifi network was changed, and now my Roku Express is not connected to the Wifi. I have a simple IR remote, which has brand new batteries and is under a year old. It makes noise every time a button is pressed, but it doesn’t correspond to movement on the screen. Previously, I used the Roku app as the predominant remote and the device is still listed (though was connected using a different Wifi at the time of pairing). 

How do I connect my Roku Express to wifi without a physical remote that works? 

Things I’ve tried

- Unplugging tv/Roku

- Taking out batteries

- Using the app as a remote (doesn’t work as the Roku itself is not connected to Wifi)

HELP!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express not connected to wifi and remote makes noise but does not control toggling

If you can, set up your new Wi-Fi to match the last one the Express connected to (same SSID/network name and password).  It should connect and then you can go back to using the app.  There's also a method using multiple wireless devices with one acting as a hotspot configured to mimic your old Wi-Fi to set up the Express on the new Wi-Fi.

IR remotes rarely fail, but it does happen.  I assume when you say it makes a sound you're referring to the sound coming from the TV and not the remote itself.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.