Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
easyspirit12
Reel Rookie

Roku Express drops connect when TV powered off -- NOT using TV power

Jump to solution

Roku Express is plugged directly into a wall outlet.  When I power the TV off, the Roku drops the internet connection a second or two later (i.e. light goes out).  Each time I turn the TV back on, I have to unplug/replug the Roku power in order to restore the connection.  It works, but what a pain in the neck!  I saw some reference to 'Fast TV' online which sounds like what I need, but I'm not finding it in the Roku Express Setup.  Thoughts, please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express drops connect when TV powered off -- NOT using TV power

Jump to solution

@easyspirit12 wrote:

I tried plugging the original cable into a different slot on the surge and it began working properly too! 

Some power strips have a feature that will monitor any device plugged into a "master" outlet and determine whether that device is currently turned on.  It then can use that information to control whether one or more additional outlets receive power according to whether the master device is powered up.  It may be that you have such a feature on your surge protector and that you had the Roku powered via one of those secondary controlled outlets.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @easyspirit12

Thanks for the post.

Could you try using a different USB cord and/or power adapter to see if the same issue will occur? Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@easyspirit12 

If your "Express" is a newer 4K/4K+ model (3940/3941 - check @ Settings/System/About), you should disable "Auto power savings"

Settings/System/Power/Auto power savings = unchecked

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@easyspirit12 

I would start with @RokuKariza-D suggestion of using a new power adapter and power cable. (You can use cell phone charging cable with microUSB connection on device end, and a cell phone USB power adapter 5volt, 1 amp).

The FastTV start you mentioned is only found/applicable to RokuTVs, not Roku devices.

For the most part, a blinking light usually indicates a loss of internet connection (or sometimes loss of video signal), while a light that goes out completely indicates device has entered sleep mode or has been deprived of power.  Address the power supply first and see if issue is resolved.

EDIT... Unless your Express is a 4k/4k+ device, then also try @UserOfStreamers suggestion. (our postings overlapped).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
easyspirit12
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you all for your advice.

First, device is not a 4K/4K+ model, so no 'power saver' options available.

I had another brand new Express I'd not yet set up so I used the cable from that and it worked.  Although the 'connection' light still went out after turning off the TV, it came right back on as soon as I powered up the TV.

Just an FYI though, for anyone else having the problem.  After getting it working with the 2nd cable,  I tried plugging the original cable into a different slot on the surge and it began working properly too!  Guess I figured it wasn't power-related as it always worked after an unplug/re-plug.  Good news is, I apparently do have two good working cables ... just a suspect slot on the surge!

Thanks all ... very much appreciated!!!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@easyspirit12 wrote:

I tried plugging the original cable into a different slot on the surge and it began working properly too! 

Some power strips have a feature that will monitor any device plugged into a "master" outlet and determine whether that device is currently turned on.  It then can use that information to control whether one or more additional outlets receive power according to whether the master device is powered up.  It may be that you have such a feature on your surge protector and that you had the Roku powered via one of those secondary controlled outlets.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
easyspirit12
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had no idea!  Very good to know!!  Thank you, @makaiguy!

0 Kudos