Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sixstring911
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 3900X was working fine but after upgrade loses visibility of my WiFi network

Jump to solution

I recently started using an old Express 3900X device that I put away for a bit. It worked fine for about 1/2 a day, no issues. Then it said there was a new update that needed to be applied. I guess that makes sense since the device has been in a drawer for about a year. I agreed to the update (don't remember if I could have declined) and it did it's thing relatively smoothly. When it restarted, I had to re-enter my login credentials for WiFi. It worked for about 5 minutes and then lost connection. I went to setup the connection again and the device no longer "sees" my WiFi network (sees plenty of others in surrounding units, but mine is missing, even on a deeper scan for networks). If I reboot my router and then re-scan, the network shows up. I can connect to it for a short while, then it disconnects and is no longer visible on scans for networks. Even if I don't connect to it upon a reboot of the router, the network shows in the scan but after several minutes disappears upon subsequent re-scans.

I tested connectivity to a mobile hotspot and that works consistently -- the problem only appears to be with my router, which is a Nokia G-2425G-B, and this newly updated Roku Express 3900X, which didn't have a problem pre-software-update. I have monkeyed with the router's 2.4Ghz WiFi settings, making sure it is set to auto(b/g/n) and turned off WPS, etc. as well as performed network and factory resets on the Roku device, all to no avail.

Any ideas?

Is there a way to back-out of the update (currently 12.5.5 build 4164-51)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Express 3900X was working fine but after upgrade loses visibility of my WiFi network

Jump to solution

Hi @sixstring911,

We hope you are doing well!

It seems you're experiencing connectivity issues with your Roku device following an update. To resolve this, you'll need to adjust your router's channel from 1 to 11. Once you've made this adjustment, remember to apply and save the changes before restarting your router.

If you need help adjusting your router settings, we recommend contacting your internet service provider's customer support team. They have the expertise to help configure your wireless gateway and may be able to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Express 3900X was working fine but after upgrade loses visibility of my WiFi network

Jump to solution

Hi @sixstring911 ,

Thanks for taking your first post to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having connectivity issues with your Roku device after an update. We appreciate the steps you have taken to resolve the issue. Let's try these quick steps: navigate to Settings > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset > Reset connection. Also, make sure to restart your router and then try to reconnect your device.

Please keep us posted on how it works for you.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @sixstring911,

We hope you are doing well!

It seems you're experiencing connectivity issues with your Roku device following an update. To resolve this, you'll need to adjust your router's channel from 1 to 11. Once you've made this adjustment, remember to apply and save the changes before restarting your router.

If you need help adjusting your router settings, we recommend contacting your internet service provider's customer support team. They have the expertise to help configure your wireless gateway and may be able to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
IanPSc

Jump to solution

Hi, I have the same problem but after changing my router channel to 11 my 3900X is still frozen at the 'Language' page and message says 'connecting... this may take a minute'. 

0 Kudos
IanPSc

Jump to solution

Amazing, just after last message I tried a sustained (5 second) press on the reset button and the system finally rebooted. I had tried that before, so no idea why it worked this time.

sixstring911
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This solved the issue. I reconfigured the router on the 2.4Mhz band to force channel 11 and the network persistently connects and can be seen. Thanks for the assistance.

- Drew

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @IanPSc @sixstring911,

Thank you for letting us know about this!

We're happy to hear that the issue has already been resolved. We express our gratitude for your patience and effort in this matter.

Please let us know if there are other related issues we can look at further.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.