Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zorro54
Reel Rookie

Roku Does Not Stay Connected to WiFi

Jump to solution

I purchased my Roku Premier about a year ago. In the last month or so it has been disconnecting from my WiFi network. When I check the network settings it lists my WiFi network and the signal strength is listed as "Excellent". No other devices in my home have trouble connecting to the internet when connected to my WiFi network.

I tried resetting my router anyway and that worked once. Now I cannot get the Roku to connect to my home network at all.

I have read all the troubleshooting posts on the support site as well as many of the similar discussion topics and do not see a solution. I was not given the option to contact Roku support directly. But this is literally making it impossible to use my TV. 

Has anyone successfully resolved this? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Does Not Stay Connected to WiFi

Jump to solution

@zorro54-  expanding on @RokuKariza-D 's reply ....

There are a couple of network connection problems recently being reported that have been caused by updates to routers. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers, but it's possible they could also occur with user-owned routers that have received updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK BUT CANNOT CONNECT
      Some router updates have changed the router's security setting from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Roku models to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n security.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
      Some routers (reported from Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others) have had their 2.4 GHz WiFi band turned off, leaving only the 5 GHz band operational. Devices with single band WiFi radios, notably Roku Express and Premiere models (but not Express 4K models) as well as many other single band devices can not even see the 5 GHz band. The solution is to reconfigure the router and turn the 2.4 GHz band back on.

If this problem was not caused by a router update deactivating the 2.4 GHz band, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku via Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > Restart) will allow the connection to be reestablished.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @zorro54

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: Set up or fix your internet connection

Furthermore, please be advised that Roku Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Additional resources you might find helpful:

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@zorro54-  expanding on @RokuKariza-D 's reply ....

There are a couple of network connection problems recently being reported that have been caused by updates to routers. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers, but it's possible they could also occur with user-owned routers that have received updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK BUT CANNOT CONNECT
      Some router updates have changed the router's security setting from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Roku models to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n security.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
      Some routers (reported from Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others) have had their 2.4 GHz WiFi band turned off, leaving only the 5 GHz band operational. Devices with single band WiFi radios, notably Roku Express and Premiere models (but not Express 4K models) as well as many other single band devices can not even see the 5 GHz band. The solution is to reconfigure the router and turn the 2.4 GHz band back on.

If this problem was not caused by a router update deactivating the 2.4 GHz band, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku via Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > Restart) will allow the connection to be reestablished.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

Jump to solution

Hi I’m having the same issue with my roku ultra. It’s been going on for months. I have tried everything previously recommended. Restarting the router, the roku. Different Wi-Fi connections. It will reconnect but only for a little while then it goes out again. 

-Roku device model- 4800rw - roku ultra
-Serial number- x01000n7lrfm
-Device ID- s02c20a7lrfm
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)- I wasn’t able to get this. Every time I tried pressing the home button 5 times it would just take me to the Home Screen. That’s it. 
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Jump to solution

Software version is 10.0.0

0 Kudos
zorro54
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@makaiguy  This was very helpful. I checked my wifi connection and saw that it was defaulting to g/n. I was able to switch it to b/g/n and now it seems to be working. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes this happens to me also. It has something to do with xfinity and Roku. I'm fed up. I want my own router. I believe xfinity controls the bandwidth so much that it no longer will ever stay connected as appears to be my issues. I do know a temporary quick fix not permanent is to unplug the hdmi to the Roku for 30seconds and put it back and try again. Worked for me for about an hour ... so annoyingly frustrated. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Spartangirl

Thanks for the post regarding internet connectivity issues with your Roku device.

What Roku model device are you using? What wireless network frequency is your router broadcasting?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SunnyFlowersLDJ
Binge Watcher

Roku will not connect without total house reboot, EVERY TIME I turn on the TV! There is no fix!

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
SunnyFlowersLDJ
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have the same issues. Every time I shut off the TV & restart it, nothing connects! All day & night, once the TV is turned off I have to reboot the entire house every time! The connection does not hold 2G, nothing! Where is the answer for this? I've disabled pings and followed every instruction yet nothing holds the connection once TV is turned off. 

0 Kudos