Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amyb70
Reel Rookie

ROKU doesn't see our wireless network, but it sees neighboring networks

Jump to solution

I have searched this topic & there doesn't seem to be a current answer.  I have one Roku TV that is still working, but our two plug in Roku devices stopped working at the same time while in use last night.  They can detect our neighbors' wifi networks, but ours doesn't show up anymore.  We have restarted them several times, unplugged for hours and plugged them back in, and we have done a factory reset to no avail.  I have reset/power cycled our router and modem numerous times, and I even spent time on the phone with our Internet provider and they made sure that 2.4 GHz was still enabled as suggested in older posts on this subject 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU doesn't see our wireless network, but it sees neighboring networks

Jump to solution

First, we need to know what model Roku players can't see the network. It might make a difference.

Since your players are seeing the neighbor's WiFi SSIDs, it appears your Roku WiFi is working OK. SO we need to look at your specific network settings. The fact your Roku TV connects doesn't specifically tell us anything, as it might be using a different band (5 GHz) that your Roku players don't support. 

So, look at the network settings on the Roku TV that is connected. Note the channel number. If the number is higher than 11, then the TV is using 5 GHz. If your Roku players don't support 5 GHz, then we know there's a problem with your 2.4 GHz radio settings. First, check the Mode. Some ISPs have been changing the Mode to G/N, while certain modems/routers don't seem to work unless the Mode is set to B/G/N. Next, check the channel number used. Odds are it's set to Auto. Roku devices will only work on channels 1-11. If the WiFi is using channel 12, 13 or 14, your Roku will never see it. The best channels to use are 1, 6 or 11, as they don't overlap each other, so minimizes the chances of interference. For 2.4 GHz, the channel width should also be set at 20 MHz. Wider widths shouldn't be used on 2.4 GHz, because the band is simply too small for it. 

Note that these settings I mentioned might not be user adjustable. In that case, you need to contact your ISP and ask them to make the changes. With my Comcast Gateway modem, I became frustrated with my lack of control, so I placed the modem in Gateway mode and installed my own router, over which I have complete control.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
atc98092

Jump to solution

First, we need to know what model Roku players can't see the network. It might make a difference.

Since your players are seeing the neighbor's WiFi SSIDs, it appears your Roku WiFi is working OK. SO we need to look at your specific network settings. The fact your Roku TV connects doesn't specifically tell us anything, as it might be using a different band (5 GHz) that your Roku players don't support. 

So, look at the network settings on the Roku TV that is connected. Note the channel number. If the number is higher than 11, then the TV is using 5 GHz. If your Roku players don't support 5 GHz, then we know there's a problem with your 2.4 GHz radio settings. First, check the Mode. Some ISPs have been changing the Mode to G/N, while certain modems/routers don't seem to work unless the Mode is set to B/G/N. Next, check the channel number used. Odds are it's set to Auto. Roku devices will only work on channels 1-11. If the WiFi is using channel 12, 13 or 14, your Roku will never see it. The best channels to use are 1, 6 or 11, as they don't overlap each other, so minimizes the chances of interference. For 2.4 GHz, the channel width should also be set at 20 MHz. Wider widths shouldn't be used on 2.4 GHz, because the band is simply too small for it. 

Note that these settings I mentioned might not be user adjustable. In that case, you need to contact your ISP and ask them to make the changes. With my Comcast Gateway modem, I became frustrated with my lack of control, so I placed the modem in Gateway mode and installed my own router, over which I have complete control.

Dan

Snuggles144
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku tv is not showing mine either. I've always connected to my hotspot. And now it don't even show my neighbors either. I tried network reset on my phone and tv. Didn't help. Could someone please help me. Being trying to fix it for a wk. It's the only tv I have. Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
amyb70
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you - very helpful info! I spent some time on the phone with our ISP and apparently a recent update with their system no longer allows the 2.4 GHz connection & their router automatically chooses the higher one instead. I purchased a mesh router system today & everything works as it should now that it’s all set up.  The tech support person I spoke to said that many Roku users are now having this same problem. Bonus is that now our Wi-Fi works better throughout the entire house. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@amyb70 

Who was the ISP that said their router no longer allows the 2.4ghz connection?

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
amyb70
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have Spectrum. 

atc98092

Jump to solution

Spectrum isn’t being honest. I don’t know what their reasoning is for turning 2.4 GHz off, but it’s certainly not because your modem suddenly no longer supports it. And considering the number of WiFi devices that only support 2.4 GHz, I consider it unethical. However Spectrum isn’t alone in doing it. A number of ISPs have reportedly done so. This is why ISPs get a bad reputation, by changing setting in a device that you’re using in your home without notification or asking. That’s why I decided to just bridge their modem and use my own router, which gives me complete control of the device.

Dan