Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anode505
Streaming Star

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

LOL  Yuppers.  my pi-hole works too hard blocking the MASSIVE Roku cruft.  Might have to upgrade to a Pi4

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@anode505 Tough to say where your issue might be, but there's a strong likelihood it's not the Roku. I have three different models of the Ultra, two wired and one wireless. I have several other Roku players and TVs, all connected wireless, some on 5 GHz and some 2.4 GHz. I have never had an issue with them staying connected on the network. This dates back to me using CenturyLink supplied DSL modems, moving to a Comcast cable modem, and most recently I put the Comcast modem in bridge mode and use a Linksys router for my DHCP services. The only networking issue I've ever encountered was poor WiFi speed using a Ubiquiti access point. But even through that device I've never had disconnect issues. So I have trouble pointing a finger at any problem with the RokuOS or the networking hardware within these devices. 

I take that back. I did have a wired connection problem once, and discovered I had a bad Ethernet cable between my Roku and the wall. But that wasn't a failure of the Roku itself. Replaced the cable and I was fine. This particular cable was one I made myself, but I have seen commercially made cables with faults as well.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
anode505
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

So being the ONLY device having this problem on a 20+ client network, it ain't that single client?  Ah OK.  Gotcha.  My previous Roku had the same issue.  With both the PFSense and a Cisco 2800 series router.

But OK it can't be the TCP stack in the Roku. 

It will work fine with DS Video station (local service on the NAS) while it has no gateway.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@anode505 wrote:

But OK it can't be the TCP stack in the Roku. 

Nope, I'm not saying that. There certainly has been specific routers/modems that have a problem with Roku devices but nothing else. In those cases, a workaround has been to enable Mode B/G/N on the 2.4 GHz radio of the gateway. It sounds like you might have found another gateway that Roku has issues with. It would assist the Roku developers to know your specific router model number, and your exact model Roku device. I know you said it was a 6 month old Ultra, but that could be a 4800, 4801, or 4802. The 4801 (and maybe the 4802) has a different SoC processor, which means it might have something different in the networking part of the chip, and that info would be of value when troubleshooting the issue.

Dan

0 Kudos
reagan0

Jump to solution

I have several devices that will only connect using DHCP. My Roku Ultra is the only one that has ever had an issue connecting to the internet. It will connect to both my 2.4 and 5G wifi hotspots and any of my other home media devices, but it can't access the internet.

One of my TVs had a similar issues, and during troubleshooting I found that it had switched back to DHCP. While changing back to manual settings I discovered that it was the gateway and DNS settings that were the issue. If I left those two settings in "automatic" mode, it couldn't connect to the internet. But once I manually filled those fields with the correct IP addresses,  it instantly connected to the internet. Restarting my router was never necessary. 

I suspect that Roku's decision to not include an option to manually configure network settings is at the root of this issue, as well as other maddening network-related issues. I manually configure network settings on all my devices that allow it. The only devices that have network issues in my house are the ones that don't allow manual network configuration. 

Good luck.

0 Kudos
anode505
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

ITS WIRED!!!!  NO FRIGGING WIFI!

And even if I wanted to use WiFi, I can't. My WiFi is WPA2-Enterprise.  Can't figure out how to set up the user name, password, and install the certificate on the Roku for it to connect.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have tried that without success. Every time I try to log in says connected to WiFi not internet. Have no home screen or internet connection 

0 Kudos
cbemeryjr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried factory reset and it still will not connect

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@cbemeryjr Please provide some additional detail. Does your Roku TV see your WiFi, but cannot connect, or does it not see it at all? Can it see any available networks (such as neighbors that you likely don't know the password to) or is the list completely empty? What brand of Roku TV do you have? (Roku doesn't make the TVs, they're all another brand) Have you tried (just for testing) a wired connection, or is your TV WiFi only?

Dan

0 Kudos
Nindy

Jump to solution

I had the same problem.  Went into my router settings and disabled 5Khz band width and left 2.5 KHz only switched on.  Roku then recognised my network and I could then input my login again.  Once logged in I returned my router to both 2.5 and 5Khz settings. Everything worked fine after.

0 Kudos