Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blev

Physically Remove WiFi Module

Good morning,

I work in a facility that prohibits wifi devices.  I have a Roku Ultra and and am looking to physically remove the wifi module, like you would in a TV.  I'm pretty sure I have ID'd the module.  My only concern is, that wifi direct is likely on the same module.  If so, that would take away the connection with the remote as well?  Am I correct on this, or will the remote still work?  I've searched for a couple days on this, and have found nothing.  Seems the only results on the ENTIRE web are how to connect to wifi and secret menus.  Since I'm not a very patient person, it didn't take long to say screw it.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Physically Remove WiFi Module

It seems like you must be quite patient to have gone this far!

In any case, if you disable the included remote (which seems fairly likely but I don’t know) then a Roku "simple remote" (which is IR) or a universal remote with Roku codes should work.  (Nearly all universal remotes are IR-only.)

Of course, whether your Roku will even pass its own self-test and boot with a part missing, I have no idea.

Blev

Re: Physically Remove WiFi Module

I do have other Roku devices at home that do not have the voice remote.  I could just swap out for one of those.  So thanks for that nugget!  

Passing the self-test is a great point.  I guess there is really only one way to find out.

I'll update when/if I decide to follow through.

0 Kudos