Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rinrae2

Phone app won’t connect to my device.

I can connect to one of my Roku, but I can’t connect to another. The one I can’t connect to is connected to my phone on my hotspot, so they are on the same network. I had to manually add the IP address for it to find it, but I still can’t connect to it. I get this message: 

Can't find network. Please make sure you're connected to your wireless network and try again.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Phone app won’t connect to my device.

I believe that's actually a different network.  ie: everything connected to the phone's hotspot is on a separate network than apps running directly on the phone are on.  If you were to connect a 2nd phone to the first phone's hotspot, then that would be on the hotspot network, and should be able to connect to a roku connected to that same hotspot.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
michaelaskew654
Reel Rookie

Devices connected to a phone's hotspot form a separate network. If you connect a Roku to the hotspot and a second phone to the same hotspot, they should be on the same network and able to communicate.

Regards
Menupro

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

From what others have reported, when the phone is used as a hotspot the app on the phone cannot see/control devices connected to the hotspot. More than likely it's considered a security issue by the phone OS. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

My Samsung android phones through several models over the years have all posted a notice when launching the hotspot that this will disconnect the phone from the local wifi network.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos