Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
envcat
Binge Watcher

PAST POSTS DO NOT APPLY: Roku Express keeps dropping wifi signal

Jump to solution

Hello, I had trouble with a Roku 2 so at the suggestion of experts here, I got a Roku Express. It is brand new, used less than a week. Every day it drops the wifi signal and it is the ONLY DEVICE in my home to have issues.

Serial # X02600EGWJPA

Please let me know additional information you need to provide help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: PAST POSTS DO NOT APPLY: Roku Express keeps dropping wifi signal

Jump to solution

@envcat 

1. 3960 means you have an Express model that is dual band and is also DFS compatible/compliant.

2. Didn't answer.  I would login to the router's admin panel or try using the accompanying Mobile app (if applicable), and try disabling the use of DFS if enabled. (DFS causes automatic channel changes/scans under certain conditions within routers and some are better at it than others.  Additionally, the Roku device must also recognize the channel change and reconnect at the new channel location.  There may be a loss of communication at this point and contribute to diaconnectíon.  Without the router model number and ISP, I can't tell you if this feature is available to you, but disabling DFS if available should be a troubleshooting step.

Additionally, some routers have a QoS setting (quality of service) that you may be able to toggle on/off that sometimes helps or hinders connections of streaming devices and VoIP voice services.  Depending on what you have running on your network, may want to see if that setting, if available helps or makes worse (again, routers and their performance vary).

3. Try using the 2.4 ghz band and see if that stabilizes connection.  Otherwise, try using a different 5ghz channel 36-48, or 149-161 and see if that helps.  May just be on a congested channel.

4. Try disabling power saving feature under Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings.

5. Try using wall power. (Any 5volt, 1 amp cell phone charging adapter should work).  This should help eliminate a power supply issue asa culprit.

6. If you are not doing anything to reconnect, then the device is connecting again after successful pinging of the router.  Try disabling pings. (Use a browser search how to do this for Roku as we can no longer provide that info).  Repeated pinging by a device of a router may actually cause a disconnection depending on security settings of a router. (Some routers see it as a threat/attempted intrusion).

7. Since you have no error messages, may just be a simple case of network congestion or a weak/disrupted signal.  If none of the above work, try moving device closer to router 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @envcat,

We appreciate you for reaching us here in the Roku Community!

We see that you're seeing an issue with your Roku device that keeps dropping with your network.

Could you tell us if you've tried restarting your router and see if that reproduces the same issue? In addition, we suggest connecting to an alternative network like a mobile hotspot and see if you're also seeing the same issue.

Please let us know more about this so that we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
envcat
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hello, I restarted the router twice and experienced the same issue after the restart.

I don't have an alternate network. If Roku can't work with my current network, I will need to change from Roku to another device.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@envcat,

Thanks for the update! 

In this case, we'd like to learn more about this and we'll need additional information.

I've sent you a PM about this.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
chuckbeyea

Jump to solution

I have been having the same issue for some time now with two ROKU Express.  This may be happening when the Starlink device switches satellites. Spoken with StarLink,  No resolution found.

I have had success in reducing, but not eliminating,  the number of times this has happened by splitting the two Starlink 'channels' - 5G and 2.4G.

ROKU seems to use the 2.4 Channel. I also have a Firestick (uses the 5G channel) and it never drops.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@chuckbeyea 

Some of the older (previous Roku models) were 2.4ghz-only devices.

The current lineup of Roku devices are now all dual band (2.4ghz and 5ghz) as well as the newer Roku Express 3960.  If you have any other model of the Express, then that model is 2.4ghz-only.

https://www.roku.com/products/players

0 Kudos
envcat
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I just ordered and received this one. It should be fine.

0 Kudos
envcat
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It's not an older model.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@envcat 

What is your actual setup?

1. What is model number of Roku Express (go to Settings/System/About)

2. What is the router model number and who is your ISP (internet service provider)

3. Are you using the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band of your network (go to Settings/Network/About) and look at the wifi channel number. (ch. 1-11 will be 2.4ghz, higher numbers 36 and up will be 5ghz.)  Channels 52-140 are considered DFS channels so there may be an issue with how the router or the device are handling them, and not all Roku devices support DFS so the model numbers from above is pertinent).

4. Do the disconnections occur while watching content or after certain amount of time being idle or after you are finished streaming (ie. each time you turn on TV, you see the Roku is disconnected).

5. Are you using wall power, or are you powering the Roku device from the TV USB port.

6. When you see that the device is disconnected, what steps are you taking to get it reconnected (does any one particular step seem to resolve the issue until it disconnects again)

7. Do you see any error messages (ie. 14.30 error) or just a simple Not Connected in upper right corner.

0 Kudos
envcat
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

1. 3960X

3. 5ghz

4. While watching content

5. TV USB port

6. It depends on how frustrated I am with this NEW device NOT resolving Roku issues.

7. Typically the Roku indicates that it can't connect in the middle of playing. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.