Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On which internet ports does the Roku Express communicate?

I would like to configure explicit firewall rules for my Roku Express. On which internet ports does the Roku Express communicate (specific ports and/or a set of random ports)?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
vakoktx
Reel Rookie

Re: On which internet ports does the Roku Express communicate?

How does this not have an answer !?

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @vakoktx,

Thanks for your post. 

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? Do you receive an error code or message? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further. 

Regards,
Nimfa

rcoates1

this question should have been answered with the port numbers.  no additional information was needed to do that.

vakoktx
Reel Rookie

The unit is going to be behind a firewall that only allows 80, 443 by default.
That's all you should need.

0 Kudos
dspanogle
Binge Watcher

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Most firewalls are only configured to block outside communications, and permit almost any outgoing port. When the response returns from the public side, the firewall allows the return because it matches the outbound query.

If you have a firewall configured that blocks all internal ports other than 80 and 443, you most likely have sufficient knowledge to run a network packet sniffer and determine what port is being attempted. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the outbound port is randomized in some way, but my networking knowledge is woefully lacking in that specific area. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos