Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GZ56
Reel Rookie

No Signal - Check Connections Message When Starting Roku

Jump to solution

I recently installed 3 Roku devices - 2 Express 4K+ and 1 Streaming Stick 4K. The Express are attached to 2 older Samsung TVs and the Stick to an Insignia TV. A short time after installation, I got the same message on each TV when I would start up using the Roku remote - "No Signal - Check Connection". Same on each TV. I would hit the OK button on the Roku remote, and it would go to the Roku Home Page. I had a Roku rep call me and we changed the HDMI ports, we also went through changing some settings. It seemed to resolve the problem. But later when I turned on the TVs, I again got the same No Signal message. I received more info from Roku which I tried and again, it seemed to resolve, but later it goes back to the same Signal message. I do not have "Anynet+ or HDMI-CEC" settings on the TVs. I can still hit the OK button on the Roku remote and then it works fine, but why do I have to go thru this extra step. When I had cable service connected through the same HDMI ports, all was fine. All 3 Roku devices are "refurbished". Could that be the problem? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No Signal - Check Connections Message When Starting Roku

Jump to solution

@GZ56-

Try disabling "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction".

Further explanation added later:

When ON, this setting puts your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a 20 minute period of inactivity (i.e nothing has been streaming and no user interaction has been received).    In this low power state neither its connection to your home network nor its HDMI connection to your TV are active.  If your TV was off and you turn it back on while the Roku is in this state, this often leads to a "no connection" error display on the TV, and on some TVs can lead to HDCP copy protection errors and other connection problems when the HDMI connection is reestablished.

Pressing a Roku control key (like the Home button) on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute buttons, if your remote has them, as they act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation. Pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well.

If you disable "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction"  it should prevent your Roku from going into standby in the first place.  The power savings are very small and for the hassle it causes many users, I don't think it's worth having this feature activated.  

For further details, see this Roku information page: https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@GZ56-

Try disabling "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction".

Further explanation added later:

When ON, this setting puts your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a 20 minute period of inactivity (i.e nothing has been streaming and no user interaction has been received).    In this low power state neither its connection to your home network nor its HDMI connection to your TV are active.  If your TV was off and you turn it back on while the Roku is in this state, this often leads to a "no connection" error display on the TV, and on some TVs can lead to HDCP copy protection errors and other connection problems when the HDMI connection is reestablished.

Pressing a Roku control key (like the Home button) on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute buttons, if your remote has them, as they act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation. Pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well.

If you disable "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction"  it should prevent your Roku from going into standby in the first place.  The power savings are very small and for the hassle it causes many users, I don't think it's worth having this feature activated.  

For further details, see this Roku information page: https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
GZ56
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This worked! Thank you for the great advice.

0 Kudos
RdjDsj

Jump to solution

I was having the same issue on only 1 of 3 tv’s. Unchecking the Auto power savings box on the tv with the No Signal HDMI1 message appears to have resolved this. Thanks!!

0 Kudos