Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kensulu
Channel Surfer

Re: No Connection every 15 minutes

Jump to solution

I have done the system reboot probably 10 times. I have switched my internet router to dual band to show both 5.0 and 2.4 and connected the Roku to 2.4 still having an issue. What can I do I have not been able to use this thing and no support for this?

0 Kudos
kensulu
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So from what I can tell Setting the Roku back to factory settings seems to have fixed it. It has run for maybe an hour without disconnecting from the internet.

jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Looking at your equipment list, you're using an antique N band router which was outdated ages ago. Today's devices are generally designed with WiFi radios that connect A/B/G/N/AC and in some cases AX technology. I'd suggest you replace the router with something more current that at the very least  supports the AC band which is MUCH faster and has greater range than the N band in yours.

That said, the MOST common cause of dropped signals is WiFi channel congestion. And how you know, is by installing a network analysis app like WiFi Analyzer for Android or something similar for IOS. Once you install it, look at the graph which will show your SSID for both 2.4 and 5 gHz bands. If unfamiliar SSID means Secure Socket ID which is the name you've given for yours. The app will also show which channel your on and how many others use it. 2.4 has greater range but is FAR slower than 5 gHz. Regardless what's needed is to identify the congestion on the channels you've chosen and if crowded, change the channels to those that are less used.

I hope that helps

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Spence43

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem all the sudden and it seems to be I believe causing my whole wifi network problems .. is there a legit fix??? 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Spence43,

Welcome to the Roku Community, and thanks for posting here.

We'd like to assist you with this, and we'll be gathering some more information. May we know what specific Roku device are you having issues with?

For the time being, we recommend performing a system restart on your Roku device. To do this, go to Settings > System > Power (skip if no sub-menu) > System Restart. Additionally, it's also recommended to restart your router/modem.

After performing the recommended troubleshooting steps, kindly observe if you notice any improvements. Please let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SCRAPS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi @Spence43.
Would you mind giving more detail? Not all suggestions work for every Roku device. I want to help you as best I can and you providing the device (i.e. Stick+, Stick4K) and ISP connection (gateway, router, cube) would help.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@Spence43,

Just wanted to ask an additional question if you made some changes to your network recently would it be possible to revert back?

Please keep us posted!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Carrots33

Jump to solution

I have an RCA Roku TV that’s at least 3 years old that just started doing this about a week ago. When I try to update software I get error 004. Using my phone’s hot spot does not fix the issue. 

0 Kudos
SCRAPS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm going to be completely honest with you. I have zero experience with the Roku TV line. Someone here in the forum should be able to help as I cannot.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Carrots33,

Thanks for sharing this experience with us. We're happy to help.

Was the issue persistent with your other devices as well? How far is your router from this TV? Also, have you made recent changes to your network? What troubleshooting steps, aside from using an alternative network, have you tried so far?

We'll be able to investigate this further with more details.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos