Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jenaelaine22
Reel Rookie

New remote, no app, new Wi-Fi. Cannot connect to anything. New company

Hello, 

so my story is this. 

I lost my old remote during the move to a new city. I have a completely different Wi-Fi setting and was not able to get the exact old Wi-Fi settings and company. If I change it to my old username and password would it still work if I have a different company?

so now I have a new remote I ordered on Amazon. It will not let me link the remote or use my app because I am not on Wi-Fi already. On my app it is not showing my device because I by accidentally deleted the device during the move.

is there anything I can do to connect my roku to either of the remotes so I can get it on the Wi-Fi. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: New remote, no app, new Wi-Fi. Cannot connect to anything. New company

@Jenaelaine22 What Roku device do you have?  You don't need Wi-Fi to pair a new remote.  Are you sure your new remote is compatible with your device?  You can not use phone because you have to be on the same wifi.

0 Kudos
Jenaelaine22
Reel Rookie

how to I figure out what roku device I have and what it will be compatible with?

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jenaelaine22,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

You can identify your Roku device information, such as Device ID, Model, and Serial number, by navigating to Settings > System > About. But since you currently don't have a remote to control your device, you can refer to this support article for more information on how to locate your device information physically: How to find the serial number or device ID for your Roku device

In addition, could you please send us an image of your new remote so we can identify if it's compatible with your Roku device?

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Jenaelaine22 wrote:
..If I change [my router] to my old username and password would it still work if I have a different company?

To better help you, it would be good to know what Roku model you have (if you don't know it already, it should be written on the Roku somewhere, perhaps very faintly), and what specific Roku Remote you purchased from Amazon.  It may also help to know who your new internet supplier is, and whether they supplied your WiFi router.

The connection you need to establish is between your Roku and your router (even if it is one supplied by your internet provider). 

If your Roku was working on the old network when you shut it down, and if you can reconfigure your new router to use the same network name (SSID) and network password as you had before, the Roku will most likely connect when you plug it in and let it boot up.  If successful, connect your phone to this same network and the Roku remote app should find your Roku and let you control it.

As for the new remote, we can provide better guidance if you provide the Roku model and Remote model information mentioned above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Jenaelaine22
Reel Rookie

Is there a way for me to do this by just looking at the device? I cannot access anything as I cannot use the remote.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Uh, @RokuTakashi - with no working control on her Roku, she cannot check Settings > System > About.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Jenaelaine22 .  Is this a Roku stick that plugs directly in an HDMI port on your TV?  Is this a Roku box that is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable?  Is this a Roku TV?  Also the model number should be on the device but is often very hard to read.  You can also attach a picture by clicking on the camera icon when you post.  

0 Kudos