Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OTStreamer

New Roku will not connect to Xfinity Wifi

Just bought a new Roku Express from Amazon. I have it installed on a TV in our bedroom, which is located against the wall of our living room where the wifi modem/router is located. When I try to connect to the wifi during set up, it gives me a 14.40 code and will not connect. I have checked my wifi password via my Xfinity account and it is correct. Is my Roku device defective? And why do they not have customer service that will assist me?

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Roku will not connect to wifi although all other devices work. Separated by one wall.

@OTStreamer 

If you are receiving error code 14.30 or 14.40 error code and have a cable ISP gateway (Xfinity/Comcast, Cox, or AT&T) gateway), recent firmware updates to these routers over the past months have caused connection and streaming issues with Roku 2.4ghz-only devices. (Roku Express 3930/3931/LE and Roku Premiere 3920/3921).

------

The initial troubleshooting step is to verify that [ b/g/n ] Wireless Mode or Protocol is Enabled in your gateway's (router) wireless settings under the 2.4 ghz band.

------

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes.

------

Instructions for Changing the Router/Gateway Settings….

Xfinity / Comcast → ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi ) with a walkthrough ( https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...)

Please post back with an update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

OTStreamer

Re: New Roku will not connect to wifi although all other devices work. Separated by one wall.

Thanks for the info, but I would really prefer not to mess with my wifi router as, again, all other devices are working just fine on it. Would you suggest an upgrade to the Roku device, assuming that I can return this Roku Express? Would that solve the problem? 

0 Kudos
OTStreamer

Xfinity shows the 2.4 band wifi mode is 802.11 g,n. Channel select is Auto. I have not restarted the router, as other people are currently using the wifi network and don't want to disrupt any of their stuff. 

Is this the proper setting for the wifi mode? 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@OTStreamer 

Change g/n to b/g/n 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

The Roku Express only runs on 2.4. Other Roku models are dual band such as the Express 4K+ or Stick 4K. If you don’t wanna mess around with your router modem settings then I would exchange it for an upgraded Roku  model. But your in good hands with @AvsGunnar 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

The newer Roku models are now all dual band (Express 4k/4k+, Streaming Stick 4k/4k+, Ultra, and Streambars), so capable of using either 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

Using a newer dual-band device is certainly an option.  If you are using a single SSID (network name) to connect your devices, normally when a device drops off the 5ghz band, it will try to connect to the 2.4 ghz band automatically.  If you leave your settings to g/n with this router firmware, then you will have to make sure to connect any dual-band Roku device to the 5 ghz band.  You will most likely only be able to reconnect on the 5ghz band until you make this settings change.

However, I understand and respect your hesitancy. (your router, your network, your decision).  This is just a known issue with the 2.4ghz mode setting from cable ISP and their select routers, and reportedly affects more than streaming devices.

0 Kudos
OTStreamer

Thx AvsGunnar. I took the plunge and changed the wifi mode to b,g,n and restarted both Roku and router and IT WORKED! Thanks for your help, have a wonderful day! 

Sherbin18
Reel Rookie

Hello-

I have a Roku 3900X which up to a few weeks ago worked flawlessly on my Xfinity Arris wireless router. All of a sudden it stopped connecting. I have tried ALL the proscribed changes: change the 2.4 to bgn rebooted router then restarted Roku, changed the Roku to not ping. Nothing else I could think of.

As a reference, I upgraded my 3700X to a 3930R. At first it didn’t connect. Same stuff. I then rebooted the router, restarted the Roku. Gave everything a few minutes to settle down. Finally, it connected.

Does Roku expect me to reboot my router every time the device disconnects (for no apparent reason?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Sherbin18 

Try configuring your 2.4ghz band to reflect all these settings below. (you could be having an interference issue - this could be occuring at either the router location or the device location).

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

-----

One additional thing to try re: 3900X.

1. Try connecting your 3900 to a mobile hotspot(if available) on the 2.4ghz band.  If able to connect, at least helps determine if the device is able to achieve a connection.  If unable to connect to hotspot, may indicate an internal problem.

------

Understand it is frustrating, but at this time it seems to be a firmware issue with Xfinity cable routers and 2.4ghz devices and a difficulty in re-establishing connection once lost.

If you have the Xfi app, another step that has worked for some is to "Forget the Roku device" and then re-establish a new connection.  This may save you the step of restarting the router.

0 Kudos