Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob_Simpson
Reel Rookie

New Roku Refuses To Connect To Wi-Fi Unless Router Restarted Every Time

We have just upgraded from a Roku 4 model 4400X to a Roku HD model 3932RD. The new model refuses to connect to the Wi-Fi unless the router is restarted, which affects the whole house, of course, thus interrupting the connections to work and for anyone else watching something on another device. Then it works fine until the next time we turn it on. When checking the network connection, the Wi-Fi connection shows the red X symbol. The router is in a closet in the same bedroom as the Roku. The Roku 4 worked fine in the same spot and all of the other devices in the house are working fine, even the ones on the other side of the house, which is a one story and thus pretty much spread out.

Restarting the Roku HD and the various other things we have tried on the device don't help. How do we get it to work consistently without having to restart the router every time we turn it on. Or if that doesn't work, how do we return it for warranty repair / replacement?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Rob_Simpson
Reel Rookie

Re: New Roku Refuses To Connect To Wi-Fi Unless Router Restarted Every Time

One thing I did notice is that the new Roku is connected to the 2.4 GHz network rather than the 5 GHz Wi-Fi like almost everything else, but I think the old Roku, the one which was working just fine, was also connected to the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi.

0 Kudos
Rob_Simpson
Reel Rookie

My wife just picked up the Roku HD at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago, since the remote for the old Roku 4 had stopped working. Now I'm reading online where the one being sold by Home Depot appears to be some ancient version of the device?!

0 Kudos
Rob_Simpson
Reel Rookie

Of course, I have all the receipts from my trips to Home Depot, etc. but we don't have the Home Depot receipt when my wife picked up the Roku. Good news is the remote from the "new" Roku HD works just fine with the Roku 4, once I dug that out of the electronics recycling bin. This coming weekend, Oct. 15, is the annual city recycling event, so I retrieved it just in time 😉

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Rob_Simpson 

The Roku HD 3932 has come up a few places in the forum and online.  Essentially it is a Roku Express+ device that was released in 2019. (2.4ghz only, 1080p HD,)

How to set up your Roku® HD https://support.roku.com/article/360033553154#!

----

You could try changing the wireless channels on your router (can use any channel between 1 and 11, with 1, 6, and 11 preferred).  Additionally, if you have a cable ISP (Xfinity/Comcast, Cox, or AT&T), will likely need to verify that your "Wireless Mode" is set to b/g/n.  The router firmware of these companies is causing issues with 2.4ghz devices (including 2.4 ghz Roku devices) when set to other protocols.  Need to have all three protocols enabled for the Roku device to connect and maintain connection on the network.

The Roku 4 is dual band, so it could have been connecting to the 5ghz band or simply using the N protocol on the 2.4ghz band.  Hard to say on that one unless you know for sure how it was connecting.

I would start with the known issue of the b/g/n and see it that resolves your issue.  You may have to have the ISP make these changes for you if you find your router portal or the ISP mobile app does not allow you to make these changes yourself. (The ISPs have started preventing users from modifying certain settings in certain routers.)

Feel free to post back with router model number and ISP if the above is not applicable or you are still having issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos