Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BuggerOff
Reel Rookie

Neither of my two Roku devices can connect to internet on new hotspot device

Jump to solution

I had an Alcatel mobile hotspot device running on the T-Mobile network that was working fine for all of my devices. My service provider made me get a new device, a Franklin T10. I had no problem setting it up, used the same WiFi name and password, all of my laptops and phones work fine with it. My Roku devices are having the problem that they can connect to the WiFi network but they say there is no internet connection. I am using the same network on my laptop right now, there is an internet connection. I tried the Roku 3930X that I have been using recently, and a 3600X stick that I haven't used in awhile. Both do the same thing no matter what I try. I have access to a land-based (cable company) WiFi network that still works, but it is a weak connection that drops often and the mobile hotspot was always my reliable backup. Now it's completely useless with Roku, even thought it's fine for everything else.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Neither of my two Roku devices can connect to internet on new hotspot device

Jump to solution

@BuggerOff 

On the TMobile hotspots, verify that you have IPv4 enabled in your APN.  Some users have experienced issues with some TMobile devices (namely, Franklin T10) when set to IPv4/IPv6, while other units are seemingly configured by default to use IPv6 for some reason.  Try setting to IPv4 only.

---

Instructions for changing APN can be found here. (https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/t-mobile-hotspot)

Look specifically under "Connections and Network", then expand "Network and APN".

Create a new APN (Access Point Name)
Your mobile hotspot comes pre-configured with the access point name (APN) for your network service provider. The mobile hotspot checks the APN to determine the type of network connection to establish.

Access the hotspot WebUI Manager.
Click Settings > Network Settings.
Click the Add button under the APN list. A pop-up box will appear to create new APN.
Enter the Profile Name of APN.
Enter the APN.
Enter the Username and Password.
Select Authentication Mode: PAP or CHAP.
Select IPType: IPv4 or IPv4v6.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
renojim

Re: Neither of my two Roku devices can connect to internet on new hotspot device

Jump to solution

Do you get any error message or code?  I wonder if this is the b/g/n vs g/n wireless mode issue that's affecting so many users.  It looks like under the Advanced Wi-Fi settings there's a 802.11 Mode that can be changed.  Try the different options restarting the Roku device after each change.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@BuggerOff 

On the TMobile hotspots, verify that you have IPv4 enabled in your APN.  Some users have experienced issues with some TMobile devices (namely, Franklin T10) when set to IPv4/IPv6, while other units are seemingly configured by default to use IPv6 for some reason.  Try setting to IPv4 only.

---

Instructions for changing APN can be found here. (https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/t-mobile-hotspot)

Look specifically under "Connections and Network", then expand "Network and APN".

Create a new APN (Access Point Name)
Your mobile hotspot comes pre-configured with the access point name (APN) for your network service provider. The mobile hotspot checks the APN to determine the type of network connection to establish.

Access the hotspot WebUI Manager.
Click Settings > Network Settings.
Click the Add button under the APN list. A pop-up box will appear to create new APN.
Enter the Profile Name of APN.
Enter the APN.
Enter the Username and Password.
Select Authentication Mode: PAP or CHAP.
Select IPType: IPv4 or IPv4v6.

BuggerOff
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, that seems to have fixed it. I wasn't sure about how to name the APN, but I made up something similar to the existing ones in the APN settings screen, and apparently it worked.

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@BuggerOff 

Should have included that in my response.  Some users were able to simply make the necessary change to the existing APN, while others had to basically clone the existing APN connection and then just create a new APN name and set it as the default.  (with the necessary IPv4 change).