Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need guidance on changing my Roku Wi-Fi router password

Hey there, fellow community members!

I hope everyone is doing great. I'm in need of some assistance when it comes to changing the password for my Roku device's Wi-Fi router. Lately, I've become concerned that my current password might have been compromised, and naturally, I want to ensure the security of my network. The thing is, I'm not quite sure about the specific steps to follow in order to change the password for Roku.

Would anyone be kind enough to walk me through the process of changing the Wi-Fi router password for my Roku device? My main goal is to make sure I do everything correctly, ensuring a seamless transition without any disruptions to my Roku streaming experience.

If you have any detailed instructions, handy tips, or useful insights to share, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you so much in advance for your support!

Thanks & Regards 

Jessicaalex

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Need guidance on changing my Roku Wi-Fi router password

Hi @jessicaalex

A warm welcome from the Roku Community!

We recognize that you would like to change your Wi-Fi network password for your Roku device because you believe it may have been compromised.

Before we provide you assistance, we would like to clarify if you'd want to change the password for your Wi-Fi network router or the Roku device itself? Because it's a two different process and we'd like to help you with this. 

To change the password for your Roku device, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to your Roku account
  2. Under Account information, select Update
  3. Complete the Account details form with your updated information
  4. Select Save changes

Check this link for further details: How to change the email address or password for your Roku account

However, changing your Wi-Fi network password is out of our scope. We advise getting in touch with your internet service provider/router manufacturer directly to further assist you on this.

All the best,

Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@jessicaalex are you referring to your Roku user account password, or your network WiFi password? @RokuCarly provided instructions on changing your Roku user account, but that's completely different from your WiFi password.

The password used by your WiFi is not created or modified on or with your Roku. This must be done on your network router. We can't provide step by step instructions on changing that password because every device is going to be different. If your router/modem is provided by your ISP (such as a cable company) they can assist you with changing the password. If you own the router yourself, there should be a manual that came with it, or you can look it up online once you determine the make and model number.

Once you change your WiFi password, you will need to reboot your Roku, then enter your new password for the network once it fails to connect with the old password. If for some reason you can't get the password window to appear, you can go into your Roku's advanced system settings and perform what is labeled a Network Connection Reset. This erases all stored network credentials and will allow you to enter your new password to connect. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
volkswagon
Binge Watcher

Hello, @RokuCarly 

I want to express my gratitude for the warm welcome and your prompt response.

I am thankful for your willingness to help me change the Wi-Fi network password for my Roku device. Just to clarify, I would like to change the password for my Wi-Fi network router itself, as I suspect it may have been compromised.

I understand that changing the password for the Roku device requires a separate process, and I will follow the steps you provided to update my Roku account information accordingly.

Regarding the Wi-Fi network password change, I acknowledge that it is beyond the scope of your support. Therefore, I will directly contact my internet service provider or router manufacturer to seek further assistance in this matter.

Once again, I want to express my appreciation for your guidance and for pointing me in the right direction. I am truly grateful for the support provided by the Roku Community.

Best regards, 

jessica alex 

0 Kudos
volkswagon
Binge Watcher

I want to express my appreciation for your response and the clarification provided.

I apologize for any confusion that may have arisen. You correctly understood that my query pertains to changing the password for my network WiFi, rather than my Roku user account password. While I am grateful for @RokuCarly's instructions on changing the Roku user account password, I understand that it is a distinct process.

I now understand that modifying the password for my WiFi network is not performed within the Roku device itself. Instead, I need to change the WiFi password on my network router. Since different devices may have varied procedures, I will seek assistance from my internet service provider if they supplied the router/modem, or I will consult the manual or online resources specific to my router's make and model.

After successfully changing the WiFi password, I will make sure to reboot my Roku device and enter the new password when prompted after the connection fails with the old password. If I encounter any difficulties with the password window, I will explore the advanced system settings on my Roku and initiate a Network Connection Reset to eliminate any stored network credentials. This will enable me to input the new password for establishing a connection.

I want to express my gratitude for the valuable guidance and instructions provided to help resolve this matter. The support and knowledge shared within the Roku Community are sincerely appreciated.

Warmest regards, 

jessicaalex

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

@jessicaalex

I would suggest you check your routers manual. If you don't have one you should be able to get one to download. I can give you general instructions, however every router is a little different. Also if you "rent" your router for your internet service provider, you  may or may not be able to change it at all.

Generally you login to your router and look for wireless settings. If you don't know how to do that, well as we say in the computer geek community read RTFM, read the "fine" manual.

My advice get a manual and do it step by step. Only way to learn. Yeah you might mess it up but....... So did I 20 years ago. Live and learn.

0 Kudos
Miss_Chievous
Reel Rookie

I discovered the solution just by chance. Go to settings>network>wireless>your network. Click on it, and when that white box comes up, choose "connect anyways". That will bring up the password box, and you can input your new password. I hope this helps you. 

0 Kudos