Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing connection to Verizon Wireless 5g router

Jump to solution

My 3810X Roku is randomly losing connection to my wireless Verizon home router. When I try to reconnect via the Roku menu the Roku does not even see the router SSID. It always sees my neighbors' routers.

The only solution is to cold boot the Roku to get it to see the router. Sometimes it works for days, sometimes a few hours. I have 20 other devices on the system and none have any issues. Speedtest shows 50-100 mbps download speed at the Roku in question. When it's working I get an occasional pause. 

I have tried rebooting the router and did a factory reset. Nothing helps.

Advice appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Losing connection to Verizon Wireless 5g router

Jump to solution

@ThomasEElam 

The three most common issues with Verizon 5g Home Internet and Roku devices is the use of DFS Channels (52-140), IPv6, and the use of WPA3 Security Standard.

Since you cannot see your SSID (network name) at times, the most likely issue is that your router is configured to use DFS channels (52-140).  Currently, Roku devices cannot see or use DFS channels so should either disable DFS in your router/gateway settings or set the 5ghz band channels to manually use a channel between 36-48, or 149-161.  Each time your router automatically switches to a DFS channel, the Roku device will disconnect/lose connection.  Until the router switches to a non-DFS channel, the Roku device will be unable to connect or see the network.

It seems unlikely that the Wireless Receiver in the 3810 is faulty since still sees your neighbor's SSIDs.  Kind of points to a setting on your network that should be investigated, and I would start by disabling DFS and see if your issue is improved.

The other two issues mentioned above would not prevent the SSID from being seen, but would affect actually connecting the Roku device to the network (WPA3 usage rather than WPA2 or WPA2/WPA3) and internet access (using IPv6 by default rather than IPv4/IPv6) (internet traffic/streaming).  You can safely rule these out for now.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @ThomasEElam,

Thanks for reaching us here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for flagging us about this. Have you made some changes to your router recently? Also, when did you start seeing the issue occur? 

Please let us know more about this so that we can further assist you.

Thanks,

Rey 

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@ThomasEElam 

The three most common issues with Verizon 5g Home Internet and Roku devices is the use of DFS Channels (52-140), IPv6, and the use of WPA3 Security Standard.

Since you cannot see your SSID (network name) at times, the most likely issue is that your router is configured to use DFS channels (52-140).  Currently, Roku devices cannot see or use DFS channels so should either disable DFS in your router/gateway settings or set the 5ghz band channels to manually use a channel between 36-48, or 149-161.  Each time your router automatically switches to a DFS channel, the Roku device will disconnect/lose connection.  Until the router switches to a non-DFS channel, the Roku device will be unable to connect or see the network.

It seems unlikely that the Wireless Receiver in the 3810 is faulty since still sees your neighbor's SSIDs.  Kind of points to a setting on your network that should be investigated, and I would start by disabling DFS and see if your issue is improved.

The other two issues mentioned above would not prevent the SSID from being seen, but would affect actually connecting the Roku device to the network (WPA3 usage rather than WPA2 or WPA2/WPA3) and internet access (using IPv6 by default rather than IPv4/IPv6) (internet traffic/streaming).  You can safely rule these out for now.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Jump to solution
  • I did all mentioned above and I still can’t connect my Roku tv to Verizon 5g Internet. Verizon is of no help either. They transferred me to 4 different people, none of them were able to give me any advice or help.
0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Kgrinnell3523,

Welcome, and thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

Please be aware that a Roku TV may have trouble connecting to a 5GHz wireless network for a few different reasons. Firstly, the router may have switched to an incompatible 5GHz channel, which Roku devices cannot detect or use.

Alternatively, the Wi-Fi module on the Roku TV may have failed, although this can be ruled out if the device can still see the 2.4GHz band and displays a valid MAC address in the Settings > Network > About menu.

Finally, it could be a simple issue with the Roku TV recognizing the 5GHz radio, so performing a System Restart or Network Connection Reset may resolve the issue.

By trying these different solutions, it is possible to troubleshoot and resolve connectivity issues with a Roku TV on a 5GHz network.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KB17

Jump to solution

Problem started today, 5-30-24

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @KB17,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about the connectivity issue you experienced and when it started. We'd like to take action on this, but we need more details to see if there are any options we can investigate further.

Refer to these questions to better identify the issue you're experiencing:

• What Roku device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV)
  • Does the connectivity issue happen when streaming on a specific channel or all the channels installed on your Roku device?
  • Are you encountering any error codes or messages? If so, can you send us a photo?
  • Are there any changes in the setup or settings of your Roku device or your network provider that might cause the problem?
  • What steps have you taken to resolve the issue?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried to connect your Roku device to alternative wireless networks, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue?

In addition, if you are getting an error code or message, visit this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please keep us posted with the above information, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.