Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJDT
Reel Rookie

Is it the remote or the stick?

Hi - I had to remove the stick from my TV and now nothing is working anymore. 

When I reset the stick I see the Roku home screen and on the to left I can see that it's not connected to the internet. 

I tried to use my remote to go to "Settings" and connect it but the remote is not doing anything (except for changing the volume and turning the TV on and off - so I know the batteries are ok). 

I have the voice remote with batteries, so I removed the batteries, waited for 5 sec and placed the batteries again. The green pairing light is flashing but it looks like it's never pairing with the stick 🤷‍♀️

So I downloaded the app to use my phone as a remote but I get a message that the app doesn't find a Roku device on my network (not surprising as it's not connected). 

So how do I connect it to the WIFI if my remote is not pairing? Is it the stick or the remote that's not working? 

What other troubleshooting steps can I take? I spent hours reading articles on the Roku help pages but with no luck. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 🙂 

C

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is it the remote or the stick?

What's the model number written on the stick somewhere?  Is it one that requires the Wi-Fi module that's embedded in the USB cable?  Without it, you'll see what you've described.  Those things do occasionally fail as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
CJDT
Reel Rookie

the SN on the stick is C2379A911689

There's a WIFI module in the USB cable? Mmh. 🤔

0 Kudos
renojim

@CJDT, we need the model number, not the serial number.  Not all sticks use the "Long-range Wi-Fi Receiver", but those that do won't work without it.  It's a noticeable "bump" in the USB cable.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/usb-power-cable-with-long-range-wifi-receiver

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/usb-power-cable-with-long-range-wifi-receiver-streaming-st...

CJDT
Reel Rookie

oh, I see. Thanks!

the model is 3810x fcc

Is the USB cable covered by some sort of warranty? 

Cheers

0 Kudos
renojim

It should be covered by the same 1 year warranty that covers the stick.

jehzpdx

I am having a similar issue.  Model 3800x.  SN: CT38A8814003

Remote stopped responding.  Tried new batteries and re-pairing, but the pairing light just constantly flashes.  Followed multiple troubleshooting resets and none worked.  I was able to use the phone app but that's not practical at all when multiple people use the TV.

The last time I tried to go through the reset steps, it stopped going to the Roku home screen and now it's starting the whole set-up process over again and while the device name shows on the Roku phone app, it cannot connect.

Meanwhile the pairing light in the remote just constantly flashes.

We've had the same stick/remote pair for years now.  Any fixes or do I just need to get a new remote?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jehzpdx,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with your Roku remote since it stopped working. We're happy to help you. Please try again to factory reset the Roku streaming stick, and if that doesn't fix the issue, please try to unplug the Roku streaming stick and TV for 3 to 5 minutes and try again to pair the Roku remote. Make sure to use a new set of batteries, before pairing.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos