Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thebrat62
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku not finding any wireless networks

I was able to get mine fixed. This is how I did it. First, I have a friend who is an IT wizard. You need first. Then they go into your router settings online and enable the setting under wifi status and in the "mode" setting, have it enable the B/G/H enabled. It is the "B" setting that our wifi service providers turned off. It is a setting from over 20 years ago that only goes up to 11 mbps. But that is what got my router working again. This is what my IT friend said: "Tell them to log into the router admin interface and go to Wifi and change 2.4 Ghz to include the "B" in the protocols."

Have your IT wizard to that and you should be good to go.

0 Kudos
Zeke007
Channel Surfer

You helped me. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Mlcb

I have the same problem!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @Mlcb

We're here to help!

Could you tell us more about the issue you're experiencing? What's the model number of the affected Roku device? This can be found in the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > About

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Cmkred

Thank you. Your instructions worked. My roku could not see my 5G network. As you suggested, I logged into the router and changed it from auto to some channel number that was available. 1 through 11 were not available options, so I chose a channel at random that was available. My roku could then see the 5G network and connect to it. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Cmkred Not all Roku devices support 5 GHz. When you mention channels 1-11, those are 2.4 GHz channels. 5 GHz has the following channels:

• UNII-1
    • 36, 40, 44, 48
  • UNII-2a
    • 52, 56, 60, 64 (these channels are not supported by Roku devices at this time)
  • UNII-2c Extended
    • 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 144 (these channels are not supported by Roku devices at this time)
  • UNII-3
    • 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

So, on 5 GHz, you need to use from 36-48 or 149-165. At this time, Roku devices do not support the channels within the UNII-2a and UNII-2c sections. Depending on where you live, those channels might not be legal for home use.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Mistermac56
Channel Surfer

@atc98092, just to add to your informative post, Comcast Xfinity controls the WiFi channels on their XB6, XB7, and XB8 2.4GHz and 5GHz (their XB8 also supports 6GHz) WiFi capable cable modems and customers cannot change them. I had to purchase a WiFi access point to be able to connect my Roku Ultra devices to 5G WiFi and my home network by being able to manually change the 5GHz channels to one of the supported UNII-1 and UNII-3 channels.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Just to clarify for some that might not understand the difference. 5G is a cellular radio service. 5 GHz is a WiFi radio band. They really do mean two completely different things, so we should try to use the correct terminology. 

If you're renting/leasing your modem from Comcast, they control much more than just your WiFi channel assignments. I put my Xfinity Gateway into Bridge mode and use my own personal router for my Internet firewall and WiFi access, so Comcast has no control over my networking.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Mistermac56
Channel Surfer

@atc98092, I edited my post and changed to 2.4GHz and 5GHz and 6GHz.

0 Kudos
Davek3

Re: How to fix Roku not finding any WiFi or Wireless networks

So my experience went like this:

When trying to locate my wifi network at my new house thru my roku, the name of the router "Banana Hammock" didn't show up on the available networks, however, I noticed after looking at the Router that the more generic network name listed on the router, did show up in my available networks.

So, I clicked on the router network name that was listed as available and for the password I entered the preshared key (also listed on the router) and that got me in.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos