Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku not finding any wireless networks

@ThisThingStinks

Thanks for the reply.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
ThisThingStinks
Channel Surfer

In case anyone is wondering what kind of help Roku Support will give.

They'll tell you to move your Roku closer to the router. Revolutionary advice. I'm sure nobody has tried that.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@ThisThingStinks 

Ask Roku support if there is any way you can check the strength of the antenna inside the Roku device to see if the device is failing.

We used to be able to provide the method, but have been requested not to provide the procedure here.  An internet search may provide you this info as well. 🤔

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
ThisThingStinks
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar wrote:

@ThisThingStinks 

Ask Roku support if there is any way you can check the strength of the antenna inside the Roku device to see if the device is failing.

We used to be able to provide the method, but have been requested not to provide the procedure here.  An internet search may provide you this info as well. 🤔

They messaged me back and said after further review, my machine was faulty. They offered a 30% discount on a new machine. I asked for at least 50%. The Roku burned out after 2 years. I don't mean to sound like a karen or someone like that, but if you want me to stick with the company and not give my business to amazon or google, you're gonna have to admit your mistake and give the 50%.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@ThisThingStinks 

Actually not proposing too bad of a deal there with the 30% since their new devices are on sale. (https://www.roku.com/products/players)

The newer dual band Roku Express 4k+ (3941), is currently on sale for $30.  Additional 30% off makes that $21. 

Not only is that 50% cheaper than what your Premiere(3920) probably cost, or at least what my Premiere+(3921) cost me, you are getting a better device for about $20 which allows for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz band connection and ethernet access with a seperately purchased USB ethernet adapter. (in case wireless issues develop later down the road).

I would take the deal.  Your older Premiere is discontinued, past the warranty period, and currently unable to stream.  Seems like a no brainer to me when you look at the above facts objectively.

0 Kudos
ThisThingStinks
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar wrote:

@ThisThingStinks 

Actually not proposing too bad of a deal there with the 30% since their new devices are on sale. (https://www.roku.com/products/players)

The newer dual band Roku Express 4k+ (3941), is currently on sale for $30.  Additional 30% off makes that $21. 

Not only is that 50% cheaper than what your Premiere(3920) probably cost, or at least what my Premiere+(3921) cost me, you are getting a better device for about $20 which allows for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz band connection and ethernet access with a seperately purchased USB ethernet adapter. (in case wireless issues develop later down the road).

I would take the deal.  Your older Premiere is discontinued, past the warranty period, and currently unable to stream.  Seems like a no brainer to me when you look at the above facts.

They told me I can't use the discount on the express. I feel like I would need a roku that has better wifi range than the one I currently have. I'm thinking about the stick. But if the new express 4k+ has adequate range, I'll go with that.

AvsGunnar

@ThisThingStinks 

I have been happy with the Express 4k+.  Personally, I don't like the Roku Streaming Sticks because of their need for a propietary cable that is the wireless receiver for both the network and the remote to work.  If the cable breaks/fails, the device won't work until a replacement cable can be ordered from Roku.

If any of the cables fail from the streaming players like the Express and Express 4k+, you can just use any micro-USB cell phone charging cable and power adapter. (additionally, cable is only used for power with these, not wireless connectivity).

0 Kudos
ThisThingStinks
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar wrote:

@ThisThingStinks 

I have been happy with the Express 4k+.  Personally, I don't like the Roku Streaming Sticks because of their need for a propietary cable that is the wireless receiver for both the network and the remote to work.  If the cable breaks/fails, the device won't work until a replacement cable can be ordered from Roku.

If any of the cables fail from the streaming players like the Express and Express 4k+, you can just use any micro-USB cell phone charging cable and power adapter. (additionally, cable is only used for power with these, not wireless connectivity).

I assume the express 4k+ is a definite upgrade over the older roku expresses from years back? We have 2 of those in the house and they are quite slow. Again, I need this roku for a camper that's about 2 walls and 60-70 feet from the router. I'm just so tired of the connection working fine several weeks, and then dealing with 2 or 3 days straight of just awful connection until it fixes itself. The speed of the roku itself is important, but the speed of the internet the roku is giving us is even more important.

Also, thanks so much for helping me with the depth that you are.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@ThisThingStinks wrote: I assume the express 4k+ is a definite upgrade over the older roku expresses from years back?

There's no comparison between the Express and the Express 4K+ other than they have the same basic name. And I really hate that Roku reuses similar/same names on different devices like that. With the 4K+, you get dual band WiFi, 4K/HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, more memory, faster processor, voice remote, and more. I don't recommend the basic Express model to anyone. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ThisThingStinks
Channel Surfer

@atc98092 wrote:

@ThisThingStinks wrote: I assume the express 4k+ is a definite upgrade over the older roku expresses from years back?

There's no comparison between the Express and the Express 4K+ other than they have the same basic name. And I really hate that Roku reuses similar/same names on different devices like that. With the 4K+, you get dual band WiFi, 4K/HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, more memory, faster processor, voice remote, and more. I don't recommend the basic Express model to anyone. 

Thanks for the response. I'll take that into consideration.

0 Kudos