Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clare4NYS
Channel Surfer

Have Roku Express 4k+ model - dual band - How to convert 2.4 ghz to 5 ghz?

So all my roku devices come up in my Verizon Fios 5G Router as 2.4 GHZ, but my two Roku Express 4k+  units have dual band - how do I connect thru my 5 GHZ and not the 2.4 GHZ???   I do not want to shut off the 2.4ghz in the router - since I still have phones/older roku devices that operate at 2.4ghz.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Have Roku Express 4k+ model - dual band - How to convert 2.4 ghz to 5 ghz?

I use different SSIDs for the two bands so I select bands manually.  From what I have read, routers vary when you use the same SSID on both bands.  Some have a feature to “encourage” one band to be used. Apparently, when presented with a choice of bands using the same SSID, many client devices will choose the one with the greater signal strength.  This will often be 2.4GHz, in spite of the fact that 5GHz is likely to offer more throughput even at reduced signal strengths.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Have Roku Express 4k+ model - dual band - How to convert 2.4 ghz to 5 ghz?

@Clare4NYS 

Most of the Fios routers have DFS channels enabled by default.  Roku devices cannot see or use DFS wireless channels (52-140) on the 5ghz band.  

Roku can only see/use channels 36-48, and 149-161 on the 5ghz band.

Using the MyFios app, try going to Internet/Advanced Settings and disabling DFS support.

Then restart the router and Roku devices and see if you now have 5ghz capability for the Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102