Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Ethernet connectivity

I have a Roku Ultra 4k Model 4802x Software 12.5.0 build 4178-C2.  

The orig unit worked on wired Ethernet for almost a year, then stopped in late Oct/Early Nov.  Contacted support and ran through the usual culprits.  No luck, so they sent me a replacement.  That unit connected right up to wired Ethernet.  Figured, great, hardware failure, it happens, right?  The player then asked if I wanted to do a system update now to the replacement unit, clicked OK.  Replacement unit updated, rebooted and wired Ethernet stopped working.  It appears it's not a hardware problem, I've been in contact with chat support (hit or miss) and no luck.  They are suggesting sending me out another unit.

I have several previous gen Roku Ultras (non 4k), with some connected via wired ethernet and they are still working.  In fact, if I bring one to the location of the failed unit, they work connected to wired ethernet as expected.  I bring this failed unit to the other units wired location, still doesn't work.

I've been seeing a fair number of wired ethernet issues but nothing seems to fix it.  Anyone else out there have a broken wired ethernet on around late Oct/early Nov and can't get it to work or better yet, you have a suggestion beyond try a different cable or reset the network connections?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Failed Ethernet connectivity

@Silvertwinkie 

I jump around with the Ultra 4660 between wired and different wifi/wireless networks (different routers).  Sometimes, it does not see the wired connection (unavailable) when I switch back to it.  Normally, a few repeated System Restarts will get it to finally see the wired connection again.  If it doesn't after three or four, I just keep it on the wireless connection of the Wired network and eventually it will make its way back over there. (if you are on a wireless connection and Restart the Roku device, it will/should switch to the Wired connection by default).

I don't think it is your router, the ethernet cable, or even defective hardware of the Ultra.  I think it is just a software/firmware gremlin that loses connection and has trouble reestablishing/detecting the available wired connection.

You can certainly try unplugging both the Roku device and the router for a couple of minutes. (allow 5 minutes to allow discharge if you can) and then boot back up. If no luck, try leaving the Roku device unplugged when you go to sleep and then test again in the morning.  This should give ample time for it to reset itself.  If still a no-go, I would now Factory Reset the Roku device (press and hold reset button for 30+seconds), especially now that it has undergone its update.  Just make sure you have a working physical Roku remote before performing a Factory Reset on a Roku device/RokuTV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos