Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timora
Reel Rookie

Excellent signal:will not connect

I have a Roku Premiere-3920X, that has stopped connecting to my wireless router.  It is able to find the router, has excellent signal but will no longer connect to it.  I can use my phone as a hotspot (while connected to the router) and connect the Roku that way.  I have tried fixes offered in the forum section, the Internet and nothing will work, other than using my cell phone as a hotspot.  Nothing has changed (same router, ISP, device, tv-all the same as before). 

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Excellent signal:will not connect

@timora 

If you have a cable ISP (Xfinity/Comcast, Cox, or AT&T), try changing the "wireless mode" in your 2.4ghz wireless settings at your router to b/g/n.  Then restart both your router and the Roku device.

This is a known issue with the firmware of the cable ISP routers connecting to some 2.4ghz devices like the Roku streaming player.

Feel free to post update or if you need more help.  Include router model number and ISP (internet service provider).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

timora
Reel Rookie

We have satellite Internet (Viasat).  The Viasat shows up when scanning for available networks (vast-24-D1B97C) but will not make the wireless connection.  How would I change the settings on that router? Thanks. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@timora 

I don't see anything to indicate that the b/g/n issue is affecting Viasat but worth looking into.  More so, I would make sure to verify that your 2.4ghz band is actually still enabled.  Make sure you have two distinct names for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  Appears that depending on which gateway (router) you have been supplied with, there are different settings that affect which band may be being used.

First thing, look on the bottom of your router for any login/password info on a sticker.

There are different methods of logging into your router and which username/password to use depending on which setting you want to change.

The default methods of logging into this router is to go to a web browser and in the address bar, type in either 192.168.100.1:8080 or 192.168.100.1  This should open your web portal for your router.  The username and password are either going to be on that sticker (not the SSID password), or try the default username and password for that router (username=admin, and password=admin)

Then select "Router", and then "Wireless" setup.

----

Here are some helpful pages for navigating around the settings of Viasat routers.  

https://eguide.field.viasat.com/viasat-wifi-gateway-router-settings-tab/

https://help.viasat.com/s/article/2-4-and-5-GHz-wireless-band

---

When you find the 2.4ghz settings, I would try changing the wireless mode to b/g/n and also try changing the wireless channel. (ch. 1, 6, and 11 are preferred).  Also, make sure you are using different name for the 2.4ghz band so you are sure you are actually "seeing" the 2.4ghz band as available for connection.  Finally, try removing the password for the 2.4ghz password and see if you can connect.  If so, then change the password to something simple and see if device again connects.

-----

Finally, before you start changing the router settings, try to reset the network connection from within the Roku device first and see if this resolves issue.  If the following does not work, then look at the router settings. (Make sure to make a note of any previous settings so you can return them to that state if you run into issues or notice any improvement/decline in performance.

1. Restart your router/modem.

2. From the Roku device, go to Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection.

----

Feel free to provide further updates.

0 Kudos
Nichole_L
Reel Rookie

Did this just start yesterday? My Roku TV has been refusing to connect to the internet since an update ran at the start of  yesterday. I'm able to get it to connect by doing a system restart (turning the tv off and on is not sufficient, I have to actually navigate through the menu and run a system restart. It does the trick, but I have to do it every time I power on the TV. I'm hoping it's a known issue and another update will run soon to correct this.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Nichole_L 

On the RokuTV, try disabling Fast TV start.  Some RokuTVs have difficulty maintaining connection when Fast TV start is enabled.  By disabling Fast TV Start, the RokuTV fully powers down when turned off and then checks for network connection each time it is powered on.

Settings/System/Power/Fast TV Start [Disable].

Another culprit could be if you have Auto Power Savings enabled.  There is both a 15min and 4hour setting here. Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings

----

Fast TV start basically puts the RokuTV in a standby mode.  If network connection is lost during this time, you can either restart the TV, or try Settings/Network/Setup Connection which sometimes saves on restarting the RokuTV.

timora
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your input.  I will try the steps that you mentioned.  I will update after I try it this weekend. 

timora
Reel Rookie

This has been going on for almost a week now.  Every time we turn on the tv, we have to go through this process. 

0 Kudos
Friarsgirl

I have Cox for my internet. Is this the same way to try to fix mine? Mine has been out since yesterday, as well.

heidirulz

Both of my Roku devices stopped connecting yesterday.  I can’t update software, can’t connect even though signal is good.

it is so frustrating!!!

0 Kudos