Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error code 009 no internet connection

Jump to solution

Wireless connection but no internet connection. I have called my metro PCS twice and I've restarted my phone and BOTH of my roku's more times then I can even count. I have reset the network on my phone and my Roku. It has been weeks of not being able to use my hotspot with to watch my Roku. I've been able to connect my hotspot on my phone to my computer with ease. And I've been able to connect everyone else's hotspot who comes to my home to my Roku. At this point I just want to return both my Roku for replacement one's or just take them and return them all together. After weeks of not solution they absolutely useless to me. Not to mention I am paying extra for a large hotspot I am completely unable to use unless I wanna watch off my laptop.... Which I absolutely don't.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Error code 009 no internet connection

Jump to solution

@JFBro 

With certain TMobile hotspot devices, you may need to clone/create a new APN and set it to IPv4 protocol.

Some of the TMobile units are being set with either IPv4/IPv6 or IPv6 by default.  Technically, the first should work, but users have reported issues with this setting.  IPv6 only is not supported, so Roku will not connect with that protocol.

Basically, you can either try changing your current APN to IPv4 only or create a new APN profile using same settings as the current one but make that IPv4 setting change and set this new profile as your default.  Restart both the hotspot and your Roku device after making the changes and see if you can connect.

Look under the Connections and Network for "Network and APN" of the following link for instructions on creating/setting up the APN.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/t-mobile-hotspot

Feel free to post an update with the hotspot model number if still having issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @newcreation4444

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
JFBro
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have Two different Roku express+ both of which failed to connect to internet starting yesterday. WiFi connection is fine. Internet is accessible thru the router with other devices.

router, Roku & tv all repeatedly restarted without any change to the situation.

I have a sprint cellular hotspot and cannot control the channels, etc. on the router.

Model 3910RW

Software version: 11.0.0 4193-51

Why can’t the Roku devices get to roku’s servers/apis via internet? Is there any way to direct the Roku device to other web URLs to verify internet connection without needing roku’s servers/api?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@newcreation4444 

Since others are able to connect to your Roku device with their hotspots, it may simply be that you need to go to your Hotspot connection in your phone (Settings) and make sure you have the 2.4ghz band enabled.

For Android, located under "Mobile Hotspot and Tethering".  Then go to to Mobile Hotspot Settings/Setup Mobile Hotspot/Select AP Band [Enable 2.4ghz band]

For Apple. located under Settings/Personal Hotspot/Maximize Compatibility [Toggle to On]

----

Feel free to post back with update or if still having issues.  Include the Roku model numbers as well as OS build (Settings/System/About) from within the Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JFBro,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

We recommend performing manual system updates in Settings>System>System update>Check now.

For more information about how to update your Roku device, visit our Support page here
If it isn't resolved for you, let us know your device serial number and your latest software version, found under Home > Settings > System > About.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JFBro
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just bought a brand new Roku express and am having the same issue. Can connect to WiFi, can’t connect to internet. Other devices can connect to WiFi and get to the internet successfully. Only Roku devices can’t reach internet.

Error 009

switched. Back to original device - details below:

model: 3910rw

s/n: YGOOGF752145

sw version: 11.0.0 build 4193-51

- last updated May 5 10:33 pm

- last checked Oct 26 8:05 am

device Id: C537CG752145

0 Kudos
JFBro
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you Mary.

I cannot perform the system updates / check now. I get an error 003 because I do not have a working connection.

When I try to set up the connection I get Error 009

device - details below:

model: 3910rw

s/n: YGOOGF752145

sw version: 11.0.0 build 4193-51

- last updated May 5 10:33 pm

- last checked Oct 26 8:05 am

device Id: C537CG752145

0 Kudos
JFBro
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Also, I have set the router’s 2.4ghz network to channel 11 as noted above. No success.

also tried the new Roku Express on the 5gh network, again without success.

but as noted above WiFi connectivity isn’t the issue. The WiFi is fine but the router cannot reach roku’s api/services.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@JFBro

Thanks for the post.

Since you are unable to connect to the your home wireless network, have you been able to connect to an alternate wireless network, such as mobile hotspot, to see if you are able to connect to the internet?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JFBro
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Danny.

I am able to connect to the home wireless network (which is a mobile hotspot device), but the Roku cannot reach the internet from the router even though other devices going through the same wireless network and router can access the internet.

I do not have any other mobile hotspot or wireless connection to try with. This is my only internet source.

It does not seem like a WiFi issue but rather that my ISP (T-Mobile network) is not able to connect thru to Roku apis.

Thanks for any further suggestions.

0 Kudos