Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sel9648
Channel Surfer

Error 009 nothing I’ve tried helps.

I have wireless internet (GotW3) and I’ve called them several times and they say this is not their problem. (I can use my neighbors Wi-Fi and my ROKU works fine.) My computer internet works fine but I start my ROKU, I go to “Choose your Network” and signal strength say’s good (3 out of 4 lines), click it, click connect, Wireless connection check, Internet connection NO (Error 009).

I’ve tried everything, I restarted the ROKU, I restarted the router, I moved the router to different places in the house. What am I missing?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Error 009 nothing I’ve tried helps.

@Sel9648 

Unfamiliar with GotW3, but some preliminary searching looks like it is 4g LTE which likely means you will be using an APN setup.  The response you received that it is not their problem seems to be pretty common with that provider from online comments/reviews of former users.

Some users of these mobile routers/mobile hotspots have found that the APN has to be configured to use IPv4-only its settings in order for the Roku device to connect to internet. (Roku is currently incompatible with IPv6 protocol and some APN IPv4/IPv6 combined settings are causing issues).

If you post your Roku model number and the Router model number you have, maybe can do a little digging and see what advice we can offer.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Sel9648
Channel Surfer

It is 4G, the model is CAR400, the ROKU is 3810X

AvsGunnar

@Sel9648 

Just to make sure I will be looking at correct router, are you sure it is CAR400, and not C4R400?

0 Kudos
Sel9648
Channel Surfer

Your right C4R400

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Sel9648 

Do you already know how to login to your router and access/make changes to the APN?

0 Kudos
Sel9648
Channel Surfer

No, I don’t know much of anything.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Sel9648 

Let's see if the following works for you.  Follow closely and in order.  Take screenshots with your phone of current settings and write them down.  You are going to try two things.  First, we are just going to try and change the APN PDP protocol.  If that doesn't work, we will clone the original APN (which is why you need screenshots of the original setting, make the PDP change, and set this new clone as a default APN).

1. Open web browser and type in 192.168.100.1 

[If 192.168.100.1 does not work, try 192.100.1.1]

2. The password is admin (a web info gui should popup/open for you with some serial numbers and device info).

3. Open a new browser window or tab, and type in 192.168.100.1/index.html#apn_setting (this should popup/open a "Connection Settings" page where you should see an "APN" tab.  Click on the APN tab and note/screenshot the default settings.

4. Under the "PDP" setting, you will likely see IPv4/IPv6 which is default setting.  Try changing this to IPv4 or IPv4-only.

5. If the above is greyed out (cannot change), you will need to make a clone of the APN that already exists.

6. Under the "Mode Setting", select "Manual".  Select the "Add New" when message appears.  Now enter all the same info as the Default setting you took a screenshot of before (you can try giving it a different profile name to keep things straight, but may need to use the default profile name if you encounter an issue).  The difference here is you are going to set the PDP to IPv4 or IPv4-only.  You may receive an alert box when making the selection.  Just press OK.

7. After you make sure everything looks the same except for the new IPv4 (PDP) as your previous default, press Apply.  Wait a few seconds for changes to apply, and then select "Set as Default".

8. Turn off the power to the router for a minute or two. (Use the Power button on the C4R400, do not unplug the router during this waiting period.

9. Power router back up and see if you have internet.  If so, then restart your Roku device and see if you can now connect.

-----

Feel free to post an update or if you run into issues.  Make sure to note if you see any differences with the instructions above and what you are seeing.  Different ISP firmware may produce a little different GUI (graphics screen) so you may have to look around for the settings but the above should give you a good idea what you are doing.

-----

Click on image to enlarge.

Sel9648_APN_1.png

0 Kudos
Sel9648
Channel Surfer

Thank you so much! I’ll try to make it work or I may need to get one of the grandkids to do it.