Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carpentermate
Streaming Star

Data Rejected - Missing Connection

Jump to solution

Hi Gang

I have #2 Ultra'a and One Express which were all working fine. I turned off the Express unit because (by faulty design), it actually draws too much heat and isn't used that much. 

When I went back to using it, (turning it back on), I naturally discovered it had been disconnected from the network. But when I entered all the same data (as before), I was unable to establish a connection. In fact the original connection data: BHN ..... -5G  (etc), was gone, totally disappeared. I tried adding it again and was unsuccessful. Then I discovered technical support for existing customers, (existing connections) is NOT available via a human being i.e. (a customer service representative). Only online support is available.

With all this, I decided to scrap the Express unit, (which I never cared for since it gets sooo hot), and replace it with another Ultra unit and just leave it connected.

Any ideas to get the connection back? Thank You 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Data Rejected - Missing Connection

Jump to solution

The 3900 didn’t have 5GHz networking.  I’m not sure from your description, but I THINK that may be what you’re trying to connect to.  (from “BHN ..... -5G”) I might guess, that you turned the Express off, and while you were doing that, 2.4GHz was turned off on your router.  (This has happened to some people during automatic router/gateway updates.) So then, when you turned the Express back on, its old network was nowhere to be found.

That said, I had a 3900 and it got flakey after a couple of years and I replaced it.  Possibly just not one of their better hardware designs.

Banned but back. Because why not?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@carpentermate 

If it was me, since you have ultra's, I forget wireless and go wired. If you can't run Ethernet cable directly, there are many power line to Ethernet adapters available. Just do an internet search for "power line to Ethernet adapter". I've used them and they work fine for streaming. Just My $.02.

carpentermate
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi There Mr. Mop 😃

'power line to Ethernet adapters' ?

Never knew they existed? Do you mean adapters/converters that utilize a 110 volt power outlet transforming line voltage into an Ethernet Connection?

Thanx Mr. Mop!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@carpentermate, what's the model number of the Express displayed under Settings->System->About?  Not all Express models support 5GHz Wi-Fi.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@carpentermate 

Welcome, the one you linked to should be OK.

0 Kudos
carpentermate
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

From what I can see read off the case: Model 3900 X TC2-R1019

I wouldn't care if its obsolete (the darn thing has a poor design allowing it to get too HOT - its gonna be trashed for another NEW Ultra...

Thank You Mr. renojim

0 Kudos
carpentermate
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank You

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The 3900 didn’t have 5GHz networking.  I’m not sure from your description, but I THINK that may be what you’re trying to connect to.  (from “BHN ..... -5G”) I might guess, that you turned the Express off, and while you were doing that, 2.4GHz was turned off on your router.  (This has happened to some people during automatic router/gateway updates.) So then, when you turned the Express back on, its old network was nowhere to be found.

That said, I had a 3900 and it got flakey after a couple of years and I replaced it.  Possibly just not one of their better hardware designs.

Banned but back. Because why not?
carpentermate
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hey Mr. Strega Thank You for the valuable input ... 😁 Your name sounds like a fine Italian Dish or possibly a Constellation or Star in the universe! LOL

Yeah I never cared for the darn thing. (Got too darn hot for my taste - didn't wanna to risk a fire), TERRIBLE DESIGN. Oh and BTW the darn Spectrum Rep here in Florida, who I spoke to wasn't worth a darn either. She got 'pissey' with me and REFUSED to believe there was absolutely 'No Familiar Data Remaining' in the connection choices. (Nothing I can see indicating my previous data). What pisses me off is how MOST of these Reps (automatically) assume you're just a typical 'Marching Moron' This is how far our society has degraded: 'we're so god darn dumb' that even the average Tech Reps aren't taught to remember we're NOT all that stupid! And that some of us 'could' actually be brighter and smarter than they are!

Ok - That Does It for 'Little Mr. Express' who's getting ready for his EXPRESS train into the DEEP.... haha

Gonna have to buy another New Ultra ...

One last question: I have 2-3 older roku units (definitely not sticks), about 14-15 years old that were programed to still bring up 'Older Movie Trivia' from movies like "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" etc. At some point, (I'm assuming either roku (or) 'someone' made a conscious decision) to REMOVE movie trivia from movies they considered irrelevant, too old or just not worthy of retaining? I assume it may have had something to do with reducing costs/FTP space etc? Anyway, certain Trivia that was once there, is GONE (removed) from ANY Ultra manufactured from about 2018 on .... Trust me because if I reconnect these 15 year old roku's, there it is 'Back Again'. For die hart movie buffs this was heart breaking ... Anyway I still love roku and thanx again!

0 Kudos
carpentermate
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes problem SOLVED - thank you - (and yes this is a great site - very helpful)!

0 Kudos