Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackN777
Streaming Star

Connection issue WiFi Roku Express +

Jump to solution

Roku Express + (3910x)

Has worked fine for months, all of a sudden, it says signal strength poor, and insists that I find another network to use.

AC1200 (Netgear) router... Not a darn thing has changed at all except the Roku for some reason.

Everything, and I mean everything other than the Roku works fine and connects, including the laptop I am typing this post with.

Is this some kind of issue with an recent update?

I'm about at my wits end with these Roku devices.

- Roku Express+ 3910X
- Roku Express+ 3910RW
- Roku Express+ 3710X
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JackN777
Streaming Star

Re: WiFi Connection issues Roku Express +

Jump to solution

My problem was solved by

- forcing my router to use Channel 1 instead of auto.

- a few more updates along the way over the last couple months.

Yes I was irritated. Not now as of this comment.

- Roku Express+ 3910X
- Roku Express+ 3910RW
- Roku Express+ 3710X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I've never received an explanation of what causes the loss of network connectivity, but so far this has always worked for me to recover from it:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
JackN777
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Appreciate the reply but...

Been there, done that...

Going to try a few things with the Router I saw others trying for this problem since the latest update. Like:

- "g" only for 2.4 ghz

- channel6 instead of auto

Roku needs to quit fixing stuff that ain't broken.

- Roku Express+ 3910X
- Roku Express+ 3910RW
- Roku Express+ 3710X
0 Kudos
JackN777
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

My problem was solved by

- forcing my router to use Channel 1 instead of auto.

- a few more updates along the way over the last couple months.

Yes I was irritated. Not now as of this comment.

- Roku Express+ 3910X
- Roku Express+ 3910RW
- Roku Express+ 3710X
0 Kudos
jamx13
Channel Surfer

Re: Connection issue WiFi Roku Express +

Jump to solution

I'm having the exact same problem with my Express+ 3910X. It worked perfectly fine for over a year (in same location) & then started losing signal & dropping connection. I tried all the recommended fixes & even tried changing the router to broadcast on channel 1. Nothing has helped.

As an experiment, I tried my 3710X in the same location & its signal was "excellent" so I tried a full reset of the 3910X using the pinhole in the back. It immediately said "low signal strength". I found that if the 3910X is moved within 5-6 feet of the wireless router, the signal is "good".

Time for a new one, I guess. Smiley Sad Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @jamx13

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Please be advised that your Roku Express+ (3910X) is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. 

If you need help modifying your wifi settings, we suggest contacting your internet service provider as they have the proper training on how to navigate their router settings.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jamx13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuKariza-D wrote:

Hey @jamx13

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Please be advised that your Roku Express+ (3910X) is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. 

If you need help modifying your wifi settings, we suggest contacting your internet service provider as they have the proper training on how to navigate their router settings.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Thanks for responding. I have an Asus dual band wireless AC router with 4 antennas. The 3910X has worked fine with this router for well over a year but then it developed a problem connecting and/or staying connected. The signal strength dropped from "excellent" (5 bars) to "low" (1 bar) for no apparent reason. When doing a scan, only my wifi network shows up on the 3910X, but if I connect a 3710X in its place & run a scan, multiple wifi networks (neighbors) are detected & my network is listed as "excellent" (5 bars). It seems the problem is with the 3910X.
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jamx13

Thanks for the reply.

The suggestions in this Support link might help. Try giving it a shot: How to improve the Wi-Fi® or wireless internet connection to your Roku® streaming device

Moreover, you've mentioned that you've tried changing the wireless channel to 1. Have you also tried 6, or 11 which are also the preferred channels in North America? Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jamx13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuKariza-D wrote:

@jamx13

Thanks for the reply.

The suggestions in this Support link might help. Try giving it a shot: How to improve the Wi-Fi® or wireless internet connection to your Roku® streaming device

Moreover, you've mentioned that you've tried changing the wireless channel to 1. Have you also tried 6, or 11 which are also the preferred channels in North America? Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Obviously if I switched TO channel 1, I had been using a different channel. To answer your question, I tried channels 1, 6, 11 & there was no difference. I restarted the router....I restarted the modem....I restarted the ROKU. The distance between the router & ROKU is about 12 ft with no obstructions in between. I have 3 other ROKUs plus a FireStick in different rooms throughout the house. All of them work well except for this particular 3910X.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jamx13

I apologize for the delay in response and appreciate the update.

Please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be found from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > About. Once I have it, I'll be able to forward it to our team to assist you further.

I will keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos