Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mayass
Reel Rookie

Connecting a Used Remote To a Used Roku Tv

I am using a friends Roku onn. TV for the summer but am having trouble connecting to it. They lost the remote before giving it to me but I do have an extra remote. I haven't been able to connect the remote to the TV at all. The TV hasn't been connected to the wifi I'm using at my apartment so maybe that has something to do with it? Once I get the remote connected to the TV I would connect the TV to the wifi but do I have to have the TV connected to the wifi first? My biggest trouble is connecting the used remote to the used TV and I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting a Used Remote To a Used Roku Tv

What is the remote you are trying to use? 

Direct line-of-sight infrared (IR) remotes for Roku streaming devices cannot control Roku TVs, because Roku TVs use a different set of IR commands than the separate Roku devices do.

Your choices are to get an IR remote with Roku TV codes built in or Roku Voice Remote that controls both Roku devices and Roku TVs by wifi.

Edited to add:  Onn is Walmart's brand name for devices they have made to their own specs.  You should be able to find either type of remote there.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
jshel24

I’m having this same issue. I have a tv that I was using at my apartment in college but I lost the remote so I was just using the remote app at my apartment. Now I have graduated and moved home, but now I cannot connect my tv to the wifi at my house because I don’t have a remote. I bought a new remote, but because the tv has no wifi connection I can’t even pair the remote to use it so idk what to do at this point. No replies to questions seem to be helping my issue. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@jshel24, what remote did you get?  Only Roku voice remotes or remotes from the TV's manufacturer (probably not Roku) or some universal remotes work with Roku TVs.    If it's a simple remote, it won't work with Roku TVs.  If it's a voice remote it must be paired with your TV.  It has nothing to do with whether or not the TV is connected to Wi-Fi.

How to set up your Roku® voice remote | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos