Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rancho16

Can’t setup device please help

I’m setting up my new Roku device and after I connect to my internet, it updates then restarts however I then have to go through the setup process again creating an endless loop of updating and restarting. PLEASE HELP

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Can’t setup device please help

Is your Roku powered by the included AC adapter that is plugged into the wall?

Sometimes this sort of problem comes from plugging the USB cord into the TV, and some TVs don't supply quite enough power to make everything work.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t setup device please help

When the setup fails to complete here are a some things that some people have found to work for them. They may not be universally successful, but they are at least worth a try.

Easiest to try, so try this first: Restart your router, even if other devices on the network are not having problems. When your router has completed its startup, try repeating your Roku setup.

If you are powering your Roku by plugging into the USB port on the TV, try powering from house power via a USB power adapter, as some TV USB ports don't supply enough power to drive a Roku reliably.   If your Roku didn't come with an adapter, or if you don't have a Roku adapter handy, another USB power adapter you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs at least 1 amp.

Try using a different WiFi network to do the update - perhaps via a WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone or by taking it to a friend's house - and see if it will complete the startup. If successful, then redo the WiFi connection to use your intended WiFi network via Settings > Network > Set up connection.  Why this works, when it does, I haven't a clue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos