Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaryQue
Reel Rookie

Can’t run channel message can’t be dismissed

I’m trying to set up my Roku Express to work in my hotel room, but as soon as it boots up I get a screen saying it can’t run Sling TV because it can’t reinstall it. I don’t have a Sling TV account, but I can’t dismiss this error message to go to settings to set up the wifi connection. I’ve tried every button on the remote. Nothing gets me out of that screen and neither ‘check connection’ or ‘cancel’ gets me out of it. I hope you can suggest a fix. Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t run channel message can’t be dismissed

@MaryQue 

If you have a Sling TV button on your remote, wiggle the heck out of it and make sure it is not stuck or otherwise making a contact.  Then take the batteries out of your remote.  Restart the Roku device (unplug and replug).  After it boots up, put your batteries back into remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
MaryQue
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the good suggestions. The Sling button doesn't seem to respond any differently than the others -- at least it doesn't seem like it's stuck. 

I did as you suggested and removed the batteries and restarted. The Sling screen did not come up on restart, but did as soon as I put the batteries back in, so I'm guessing you're on the right track that it is something with the remote itself. Maybe I'll take the batteries out again and give it a good whack.

Anything else I can try? I do have the remote app on my phone, but without a way to connect the device to the network, I don't think that helps me. 

0 Kudos
MaryQue
Reel Rookie

Apparently whacking it got me somewhere. At least I can get to the Settings menu and select a wifi network. It shows as connected, but I do not see a place to enter or select that I'm in a hotel or dorm room so I can't complete the connection. There is a two-step process for connecting other devices in the room that requires entering the room number and name. I can't see how to get to that on the Roku. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@MaryQue 

You will need another device connected to the network to complete that step (laptop or mobile device/cell phone) and do it through a web browser.

See if these two links help explain the process for you.

(https://www.roku.com/blog/hotel-and-dorm-connect-for-your-roku-device#!)

(https://support.roku.com/article/215058118)

0 Kudos
MaryQue
Reel Rookie

Thanks much. The issue is I don't have the option to choose whether I'm in a hotel or dorm room so I can't get the login info I need to activate it. From what I've been able to Google so far, this seems to be a known issue (without a solution?) with hotels that use the Marriott wifi service that allows you to save your settings for future trips. The Roku thinks it's connected, so it doesn't give you the hotel room prompt, so you can't get the info to complete the connection. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@atc98092 is a frequent traveller who deals with and may have come across these specific issues and have some suggestions for you.  This Marriott issue seems to ring a bell, though.

Only thing I can suggest to verify is that Device Connect is enabled in your Roku Settings. (newer OS settings prevent this from being disabled depending on what remote you are using currently).

(Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Device Connect).  This is the setting responsible for providing the Hotel/Dorm prompt.

Also try resetting the network connection and then try connecting again. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).

0 Kudos
atc98092

The suggestions by @AvsGunnar are pretty much what I would suggest as well. Even if you've saved Marriott credentials in a past visit, the Network Connection Reset is supposed to clear them away. And as mentioned, Device Connect has to be enabled. One thing that has worked with other hotel connection issues is asking their IT department to whitelist your MAC address for the duration of your stay. The front desk should be able to provide a phone number to call for network support for their location. The major hotel chains should all have 24/7 network support for their guests. 

Your Roku's MAC address is like a fingerprint: only one electronic device with a network connection has the same MAC address. When the network people whitelist the address, it will bypass the hotel's guest authentication and connect you directly to the Internet.

If your Roku has a wired and wireless connection (like an Ultra) it will have two MAC addresses, one for wired and one for WiFi. Make sure you give them the right one. You can see your Roku's MAC address under the Settings/Network/About. It will be six groups of two digits with a colon between each group. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos