Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slicer
Reel Rookie

Bought Roku 4K stick, but does not find my wifi (2.4 or 5g), but finds my neigbhours...

Jump to solution

Rescanning does not work, still finds my different neighbour wifi ssid's, but not mine!
Already restarted my router, checked that my SSID is broadcasting. Even tried manual (private connection), also did mobile hotspot from my phone, that alsod does not come up in the available network list??? 
What's going on?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Bought Roku 4K stick, but does not find my WIFI (2.4 or 5GHz), but finds my neighbor's

Jump to solution

Since it sees your neighbor, that confirms the Roku is working correctly. The issue is your router, and most likely it's the channel the router has selected for each radio band. For Roku devices, the 2.4 GHz band must be on channel 1-11, preferably 1, 6 or 11. These three are the only ones that don't interfere with the other two. For 5 GHz, the band must not be a DFS channel, so it should be 48 or lower and 149 or higher. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
atc98092

Re: Bought Roku 4K stick, but does not find my WIFI (2.4 or 5GHz), but finds my neighbor's

Jump to solution

Since it sees your neighbor, that confirms the Roku is working correctly. The issue is your router, and most likely it's the channel the router has selected for each radio band. For Roku devices, the 2.4 GHz band must be on channel 1-11, preferably 1, 6 or 11. These three are the only ones that don't interfere with the other two. For 5 GHz, the band must not be a DFS channel, so it should be 48 or lower and 149 or higher. 

Dan

slicer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello Dan,

Yes, I managed to solve it with that. Thank You!
Changed my 2.4Ghz wifi channel to 6.  Did not want to disable DFS for my 5Ghz wifi, but I guess that would have helped also. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Remember that using DFS channels are illegal, so it's not really an issue not using one of them. 5 GHz has far more available channels than 2.4, so plenty of space to stretch out. 

Dan

0 Kudos
slicer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Maybe they are illegal in US, but not here in Estonia. DFS was enabled by default on my ISP router.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@slicer wrote:

Maybe they are illegal in US, but not here in Estonia. DFS was enabled by default on my ISP router.

Yep, but they are sold by a US manufacturer, so they don't support channels that shouldn't be used here. Probably the same reason on 2.4 GHz the Roku won't work on channels 12, 13 or 14.

Dan

0 Kudos