Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shadowbane

3 of 4 Rokus reporting internet connection issues

Jump to solution

I have 4 rokus in my house.  1 of them is behaving fine.  3 of them in different places in the house connect fine to the wifi (excellent signal strength), but show no internet connectivity.  This is on the same network that several of them have been functioning well on for over a year.  Nothing has changed on the network settings that I am aware of.  Router hasn't moved, roku hasn't moved.  I tried all the troubleshooting help in the support section of the website with no difference.  One of the rokus is new, so resetting to factor defaults obviously won't help it.

Internet connectivity with all other devices in the house, including ones near the various rokus, operates just fine.

One possibility that I am considering is perhaps Comcast has an issue and the roku cannot connect to whatever site it uses to verify internet connectivity.  But without knowing how they are determining internet connectivity I cannot check that.  If it is by connecting to Roku.com, well, that works as I'm typing this over my wifi currently.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shadowbane

Re: 3 of 4 Rokus reporting internet connection issues

Jump to solution

After 2 days of looking at the issue, I finally decided to post here.  Not 30 minutes later I found the issue. 

My son had connected a second wifi router to the network as another device on the network (wrong ethernet port on the router) without disabling it's dhcp and otherwise configuring it.  So the effected roku devices, while connected to my wifi router, had a 50/50 chance of getting an IP address from his router. And once they had the wrong IP range, they could not connect outwards.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
shadowbane

Jump to solution

one working roku is a streaming stick.  two non functional ones are streaming sticks.  one nonfunctional one is a smart tv.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@shadowbane 

Comcast does have issues with some of their routers (due to firmware updates of these routers) with connection to 2.4ghz only devices.

If your Roku devices are using/connected to the 5ghz band (dual-band capable devices), then these devices will be unaffected.  However, if you are using any 2.4-only devices, they will likely be unable to connect to the internet until the "Wireless Mode" in your router under "2.4ghz Wireless Settings" is changed to b/g/n.

Feel free to post the model numbers of your Roku devices (Settings/System/About), both working and not (specifying both), in order to verify if this may be your issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
shadowbane

Jump to solution

After 2 days of looking at the issue, I finally decided to post here.  Not 30 minutes later I found the issue. 

My son had connected a second wifi router to the network as another device on the network (wrong ethernet port on the router) without disabling it's dhcp and otherwise configuring it.  So the effected roku devices, while connected to my wifi router, had a 50/50 chance of getting an IP address from his router. And once they had the wrong IP range, they could not connect outwards.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@shadowbane 

That would do it. 

Thanks for posting an update and glad you got it resolved.  👍

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos