Using your smart home devices

Learn to set up your smart devices in your Roku house. Discover how to use Roku with your home assistant, find troubleshooting tips, and get community advice.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AH04
Channel Surfer

Outdoor Camera Won't Record

Jump to solution

I am having trouble with new outdoor camera and am ready to return it.  

I selected "no cooldown" option, because the first day I set up the camera it filmed a delivery van as he was driving up to my house, and then as he was driving away.  It completely missed the part of him walking up and dropping off the package.  

Now, I'm having the issue that it is completely not even recording anything at all.  I drove by to test it- nothing.  

I love my indoor cameras.  I raved about them.  But the outdoor ones are horrible.  Why can't roku use the same technology for both?  

I've tried adjusting the settings.  But it's as if you opt for "no cooldown" you miss things completely, but if you choose a cooldown period of even just 15 seconds, you still miss important parts of the recording.  Completely dissatisfied.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJessica-G
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Outdoor Camera Won't Record

Jump to solution

Hi @AH04,

We understand that you're experiencing an issue with your Roku Outdoor Camera SE. We'd like to assist you with this matter. 

To better give you an idea of what is happening in and around your home when motion is detected by identifying if it is caused by a:

• Person: Learn when a trespasser is in your yard or see if your neighbor is stopping by to borrow another egg.
  • Pet: See if your dog needs to go outside or capture an elusive bird visiting your garden.
  • Vehicle: Find out when the pizza delivery guy pulls up or when your partner gets home after a busy day.
  • Package: Know the moment that special gift arrives or when your monthly wine shipment is delivered.

Please be advised that Continuous recording only saves up to 1-minute video clips for as long as the camera is connected to power. When the storage is full, the oldest files are overwritten to make room for new video clips. Continuous recordings can only be saved to a micro SD card, but as of now, SD cards can't be installed on our Roku Doorbells and  Outdoor Camera SE. It's only available for Roku Smart Home cameras that include Indoor Camera SE, Indoor Wired Camera, and Outdoor Wired Camera.

If your outdoor camera completely won't record, kindly uninstall and re-install the app from your mobile phone. If it doesn't fix the issue, we suggest you  do the following: 

1. Confirm the Roku Smart Home app and outdoor camera firmware are up-to-date by navigating Home of the app > Account > Firmware update.
  2. Confirm that Detects Motion and Detects Sound are turned on in the Events Recording setting.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Event Recording
  3. Restart the camera by opening the weatherproof cover on the back of the camera slide the power switch off, wait for 10 seconds, and switch it back on.

If the issue persists, please re-set up the Roku Outdoor Camera SE by navigating Home > Tap the Camera's name > Settings > Delete device. To add back the camera, you can follow the steps mentioned in the following article: How to set up your Roku Outdoor Camera SE

We hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if you need further assistance. 
Best regards,
Jess

Jessica G.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuJessica-G
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Outdoor Camera Won't Record

Jump to solution

Hi @AH04,

We understand that you're experiencing an issue with your Roku Outdoor Camera SE. We'd like to assist you with this matter. 

To better give you an idea of what is happening in and around your home when motion is detected by identifying if it is caused by a:

• Person: Learn when a trespasser is in your yard or see if your neighbor is stopping by to borrow another egg.
  • Pet: See if your dog needs to go outside or capture an elusive bird visiting your garden.
  • Vehicle: Find out when the pizza delivery guy pulls up or when your partner gets home after a busy day.
  • Package: Know the moment that special gift arrives or when your monthly wine shipment is delivered.

Please be advised that Continuous recording only saves up to 1-minute video clips for as long as the camera is connected to power. When the storage is full, the oldest files are overwritten to make room for new video clips. Continuous recordings can only be saved to a micro SD card, but as of now, SD cards can't be installed on our Roku Doorbells and  Outdoor Camera SE. It's only available for Roku Smart Home cameras that include Indoor Camera SE, Indoor Wired Camera, and Outdoor Wired Camera.

If your outdoor camera completely won't record, kindly uninstall and re-install the app from your mobile phone. If it doesn't fix the issue, we suggest you  do the following: 

1. Confirm the Roku Smart Home app and outdoor camera firmware are up-to-date by navigating Home of the app > Account > Firmware update.
  2. Confirm that Detects Motion and Detects Sound are turned on in the Events Recording setting.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Event Recording
  3. Restart the camera by opening the weatherproof cover on the back of the camera slide the power switch off, wait for 10 seconds, and switch it back on.

If the issue persists, please re-set up the Roku Outdoor Camera SE by navigating Home > Tap the Camera's name > Settings > Delete device. To add back the camera, you can follow the steps mentioned in the following article: How to set up your Roku Outdoor Camera SE

We hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if you need further assistance. 
Best regards,
Jess

Jessica G.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos