Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChefZ
Streaming Star

Feature request: disable wifi broadcast to reduce wifi interference - re-enable P2P down setting

The wifi direct network generates a very strong wifi signal that causes interference and disrupts any other wireless network traffic using that channel. When you have many roku devices in your home, and more broadcasting devices from other nearby homes too, you have a scarcity of available network channels that can transmit clear signals on 2.4ghz and 5 ghz.

Many users have problems with this and want to disable wifi direct and just use IR.

We used to be able to disable this from the 'secret menu' however this was removed in a roku update in the fall of 2020. The ability to turn P2P off in the secret menu is no longer exposed in the Secret Menu, which we really could use re-enabled.

Note disabling WiFi direct in the regular settings menu will only temporarily stop the roku from broadcasting a wifi signal. The setting is not sticky so when auto-updates or reboots happen it is likely to turn back on and cause interference again.

Please give this feature back
34 REPLIES 34
ct_connect
Channel Surfer

Re: Feature request: disable wifi direct to reduce wifi interference

I am encountering this problem on both a Roku Premier and Roku Ultra (connected with ethernet).

I have other Roku devices in the house that don't seem to cause the same issue.

The device(s) that cause the issue are located next to the wireless router, could that be a contributing factor?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

If you want to disable WiFi Direct, simply disable Device Connect (that's Roku's term for WiFi Direct):

Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Device connect=disabled

You wont be able to do so unless and until any/all WiFi Direct (Point Anywhere/Voice) remotes are either unpaired (either by "forget this remote" or by pairing it to another Roku, etc), or not "In Use" (by using another remote IR-only).

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

Re: Feature request: disable wifi broadcast to reduce wifi interference

Unfortunately that configuration doesn't seem to stop the wireless broadcast, at least as of when I reported the issue. I've confirmed this with wifi scanners on my mobile.

The only reliable solution in the past was to disable from the secret menu, which is now not available

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Wireless <> WiFi <> WiFi Direct

To be clear, disabling Device Connect does disable WiFi Direct, which is what the title of your feedback asked to be able to do.

Not sure what you are referring to as a "wireless broadcast", but once Device Connect is disabled, you will not be able to find/detect the Roku using WiFi Direct (or any other functionality that relies upon it, such as Miracast or Hotel & Dorm Connect).

You might want to re-name/re-title your OP to "Option to disable all wireless/WiFi output"

ChefZ
Streaming Star

Re: Feature request: disable wifi broadcast signal to reduce wifi interference

Fair enough, i edited the original post subject.  The desired behavior would be to disable the broadcast of a wifi signal, which used to be available in the Secret menu.

ct_connect
Channel Surfer

I was able to eliminate my wifi interference issue (when I was using the wifi Roku remote that comes with Roku Ultra+, it was disrupting other wifi signals in my house) by switching to a IR-only remote [purchased on Amazon].  Using the IR-only remote still fully controls the Roku Ultra+, but I don't have the wifi interference.

I did not change any Roku settings.

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

I use an IR logitech remote. Before i just gave up and wrapped in faraday fabric, the wifi signal on the rokus used to cycle in strength as if they were broadcasting for a wifi direct device on a interval. I was able to 'temporarily fix' this by doing what you suggested, and turn off all the wireless features I could from the settings menus. However this would get reset on reboots, upgrades, etc....so it was quite annoying.

Now i just stopped having to tinker with it by wrapping in faraday fabric and hoping the CPU doesn't overheat. So far its been good - with a few warnings here and there.  If I had a backup roku device, I would crack them open and attempt to remove the radios...but the faraday fabric is doing a good enough job.

ChefZ
Streaming Star

Just wanted to add that while turning off Wireless <> WiFi <> WiFi Direct settings sounds like a solution, its not a sticky config. If I wasn't clear earlier, i'll add now that this config gets overridden often with auto-updates and system reboots. Before using shielding faraday fabric, I'd get my entire network crashing down while i'm working, or streaming video, or my kids streaming remote classroom stuff. Having the uncertainty of network quality over wifi is terrible...so a solution that works for an nondeterministic period of time isn't that great.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Sure - "wireless off" needs to survive reboots/restarts/firmware updates (but not network connection resets or factory resets).