Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smokindog
Roku Guru

Feature Request: Return to Home Screen on Power Button

I've recently begun using ROKU with streaming services.  Given the ROKU Ultra (4660RW and I presume others) don't actually power down when you press the power button it continues to stream, eating bandwidth.  It would really be nice to have a feature option to terminate apps and return to HOME upon a power button request from the remote.

If there is already a way to do this, please help me out because I couldn't find it!  In fact I've got another thread open to completely disable CEC because the ROKU turns my Yamaha RX-A1020 back ON 70 seconds after turning off the TV/RCRV 🙂

Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
Labels (1)
42 REPLIES 42
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Return to Home Screen on Power Button

Just pressing the Home button before powering down will always close any channel and stop playback. I made that my habit way back when I got my first Roku. 

Someone else has proposed a sleep timer, which would stop any playback after a set time, and I think that would make sense. They can't implement what you propose across the board because before this year no Roku remote has a power button except for the Roku TVs. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Roku Guru

"atc98092" wrote:
Just pressing the Home button before powering down will always close any channel and stop playback. I made that my habit way back when I got my first Roku. 

Someone else has proposed a sleep timer, which would stop any playback after a set time, and I think that would make sense. They can't implement what you propose across the board because before this year no Roku remote has a power button except for the Roku TVs. 

That's why it needs to be added as an option button.  Home button habits don't work if you fall asleep watching TV 😉  Also, when my TV is turned off, I expect everything associated with it to terminate (ala CEC).  This request has too many merits to dismiss IMO.

1. Prevents excessive use of bandwidth

2. Makes is more consistent with devices that actually DO power off

3. Dovetails with implementation of sleep timer (another obvious need IMO)

4. Makes operation more consistent with CEC intent/operation

5. Makes the device behave like most others

6. I don't have previous versions of ROKU (I have 4660 and 3800) but if as you say they just added the power button this feature should not impact other ROKU devices as they don't have the power feature........
PS - I always chuckle when someone says some software feature "can't be done" 🙂  Not a slam at you, just a general observation.  
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Oh, I'm not dismissing your idea. With CEC it is certainly doable if you're using that functionality. I know if I turn my TV off it will power off the Blu Ray player my wife was using to watch media from our server. She prefers it to the Roku, simply from habit. But I had to disable CEC on my Roku 4 because it was turning the TV on in the middle of the night when it received an update. Fortunately, the Ultra doesn't do that, since it's the one in the bedroom. 

And it's certainly something worth considering with new models, when they could introduce a new remote with additional buttons. And I've done some computer programming in the past, so I have an idea about how much work might be involved to add a feature that wasn't part of the original design.  😉
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Roku Guru

I didn't read all the other replies, but another way to accomplish this is with a Harmony remote.. assign a button or activity to power the tv off AND hit home on the Roku.. better yet, reverse that- Home key, pause, and then power tv off..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
lion7718
Visitor

If your TV USB can power your Roku..it's a 50/50 chance that it will turn off when the TV does.
I have 1 TV that turns the USB power off & another that doesn't.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Roku Guru

"lion7718" wrote:
If your TV USB can power your Roku..it's a 50/50 chance that it will turn off when the TV does.
I have 1 TV that turns the USB power off & another that doesn't.

Tv definitely can't power an Ultra.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Coach_David
Visitor

allow the power button to send the home command to stop streaming

I just got done with support.

My Roku continues to stream after I press the power button on the Roku remote.

Roku says it does not put the Roku to sleep.

Can this button also send the home comand so the streams stop?

This seems like a minor feature request that will help us conserve our data, power, and bandwidth.

I get slow wifi speeds when Roku does not stop streaming

David
0 Kudos
twiceover
Roku Guru

Re: Roku, please allow the power button to send the home comand to the Roku so it stops streaming

The button is IR sending the power command to the TV.  It does not send an RF command to the Roku.

If you're using a Stick and your TV has a usb port, plug the stick power into the USB to see if your TV will turn off the stick.
0 Kudos
glasspilot
Roku Guru

Re: Roku, please allow the power button to send the home comand to the Roku so it stops streaming

"Coach David" wrote:

My Roku continues to stream after I press the power button on the Roku remote.

Roku says it does not put the Roku to sleep.

Can this button also send the home comand so the streams stop?

This seems like a minor feature request that will help us conserve our data, power, and bandwidth.

The Roku remote does not have a power button. Just a "Home" button. Just press the Home button and turn your TV off. When on the Home screen, your Roku will not use bandwidth.
0 Kudos