Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aztcl
Reel Rookie

Feature Request: Enable Audio "Auto Passthrough" over Optical (currently only possible over ARC!)

On my Roku TV (2020 TCL 5-Series, software version 9.4.0), in the Audio settings, the "Auto Passthrough" option only works over HDMI ARC/eARC.

My request: Modify the current "Auto Passthrough" option to enable Dolby Digital/DTS passthrough over the Roku TV's optical audio connection. (Or, if this is not possible, add an additional setting for auto-passthrough of PCM/Dolby Digital/DTS over the optical connection.)

Background: My audio receiver only has non-ARC HDMI ports, so I need to send audio from the Roku TV to the audio receiver with an optical connection. A Dolby Digital signal should be sent to the receiver when the audio source is 5.1-channel/Dolby Digital, and a PCM signal sent to the receiver when the audio source is 2-channel (which enables the receiver to up-mix the audio to 5.1 using Dolby Pro Logic II). To achieve this, I need to manually switch the audio setting to "Dolby Digital" to get 5.1 sound from 5.1 sources such as Netflix, and switch back to "PCM-Stereo" to get a 2-channel signal from 2-channel sources such as YouTube. If I leave the "Dolby Digital" setting selected for 2-channel sources, the Roku TV will output a Dolby Digital signal with sound only to the front speakers, and an "empty" sound signal to the other speakers, which means that the receiver cannot detect a stereo signal and upmix it to 5.1 using Dolby Pro Logic II.

Labels (1)
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.