Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fbfan
Reel Rookie

spectrum roku packet loss

Have four TVs with Roku stick, Ultra or Express. When using the Spectrum App, there appears to be a packet loss, possibly at the link layer. The loss manifests itself as content losing lip sync, then recovery. This occurs on all four TVs. It most often happens when watching the FOX news channel (FNC) on the Spectrum App. One observation is that the FNC transmits talking heads video quite often uses a split screen, much like a zoom conference. Sometimes the screen is split up to six or seven times. Three of the TVs have a stick or express device attached directly to the TV, the other has an Ultra connected to an A/V receiver using eARC. All experience the same problem and it is very frustrating trying to watch content. Can you please help?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: spectrum roku packet loss

Hi @fbfan,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for the information about this issue you're experiencing when accessing this channel.

Could you tell us if a simple restart helps fix this or if it comes back right even after the restart? We would also recommend accessing it but using an alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot, and see if you're still experiencing the same issue.

Let us know more about this, and we'll take a closer look.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
fbfan
Reel Rookie

Thanks Rey for responding to my post. Let me further characterize this problem:    

Experience voice and video out of sync on the Spectrum TV app

Have four TVs with 4 Roku devices. The problem occurs on all 4 TVs

Problem occurs on Spectrum FOX News Channel (FNC)

FNC sometimes broadcasts content with multiple windows, much like zoom

Hard to detect whether video outpaces audio or visa versa

Audio is not lost, but video drops frames

Video frames dropped when software normalizes voice audio sync

Actions attempted

Reset all four Roku devices and router-Did not help

Bypassed Roku by using the Spectrum TV app on my Windows Desktop and on iPhone. Desktop connected to router via ethernet, iPhone via WiFI  and did not detect sync issues

WiFi speeds for four Rokus are good to excellent

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @fbfan.

We appreciate you for all the troubleshooting steps you've taken to try and resolve the issue you've been having with the Spectrum app to no avail. 

May we know if this only happens to this specific app? If so, since you've mentioned that it happens to all of your Roku streaming devices, we highly recommend reaching out to their Customer Service and letting them know about the playback issue. You can also contact their direct line at 833 949 0036.

Please be advised that the majority of content on the Roku platform comes from streaming channels maintained and updated independently by the channel's provider.

Let us know if there's anything else we can be of assistance with. We'd be more than happy to continue doing so.

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
fbfan
Reel Rookie

Thanks Carly,

Problem solved. I have experienced this problem for about 2 months. Four days ago, Spectrum had an outage and we lost the internet, VoIP and streaming services. When Spectrum reeovered, and my services restored, I noticed that I was no longer having the lip sync problems on the FNC. I do not know what caused the outage or how Spectrum recovered, but, for now I no longer have the lip sync issue on any of my TVs. Thanks Roku for your assistance.

0 Kudos
rojer

If its a Roku there are known issues with the Roku wifi (essentially the wifi chip sucks) and Roku still refuses to support IPV6. I wire my Roku TV even though the router is 3 feet from the TV. I get decent experience with Spectrum app - it beats the YTTV for my experience. Younger folks great up with glitchy tech and are fine scrolling menus. Older folks like hitting 68 for Fox or 5 for CBS right on a clicker.
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @fbfan.

We're glad to hear that you're back on streaming now. Your satisfaction and convenience are what we aim for. That is why we'd be more than happy to assist you in the best way we can.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can be of assistance with, and we'd be glad to continue doing so.

Happy Streaming!

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos