Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thisismeok
Reel Rookie

roku picture quality not as good as built in tv apps

I have a new sony bravia tv. When using the built in apps the picture quality is great but when using my roku ultra the picture quality just isn't quite as good. I have the settings on dolby vision hdr. I've tried hooking it up through my denon receiver as well as straight to my tv and both picture quality results are less than the built in google apps. I can't figure out why. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: roku picture quality not as good as built in tv apps

Hi @thisismeok,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for raising this issue with us!

If your Roku streaming player is unable to correctly detect the capabilities of your TV, you may wish to configure the display type on your own. Follow the steps below to manually change your display type setting.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select display type.
  4. Select one of the available display types and press OK on your remote.
  5. Your screen may go black for a few seconds while the display setting is changed.
  6. When an image is shown, select Yes, I can see it, and press OK on your remote.
  7. Our screen will return to the Display type menu.
  8. A check will appear next to the new display setting.
  • Note: If you receive a message indicating your TV does not support a display type, you can still select the display type and try it anyway.

Your streaming player will revert to the previous setting after 20 seconds. If you believe your TV supports the desired display type, but you continue to see no picture, review the setup requirements for 4K or the setup requirements for HDR.

We hope this helps, and please keep us posted if you need anything else.

Best regards,                                                                                                                                          John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
thisismeok
Reel Rookie

I have done all that.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@thisismeok,

Thank you for the update!

Could you share with us a picture of this as a comparison of what you're seeing? We'd like to take a closer look.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos