Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miltk1
Reel Rookie

quirky problem with usb and roku player

Jump to solution

ROKU ULTRA 2019. 4670X  UPDATED

a problem just arose over the past week or two and without me fiddling with any settings whatsoever

if i add content(mp4) to an ssd drive and pop it into the usb port, the roku player will list contents of another ssd, not the one i just connected.

the first thing that came to mind is that the roku player is reading something in cache. my procedure has been to disconnect the ssd drive and restart the player by powering off for 2minutes, then reconnect the ssd.

this of course is annoying

i do not want to hassle a factory reset but it's the only thing i can think of.

thx all

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: quirky problem with usb and roku player

Jump to solution

@miltk1 

Try backing out of Roku Media Player (use Back button on Roku remote) until you get to "Select Media Device" screen.  Then select the Media Device (your connected drive) and see it that refreshes the content and drive selection properly.

RMP remembers/caches the last action so if you just press the Home button, or connect another drive, it is looking for the last content loaded.  If I add or remove content to the drive, RMP doesn't recognize the content until I as least back out to the folder that the content is/was located within.  When I enter/select that folder again, RMP refereshes the folder and I can see the content added or removed.  If I don't back out and try to play a file that I removed, I will get an error.  Also, if I add content and don't back out/refresh the folder, I won't see the file I added although it is obviously on the drive.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @miltk1,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you are seeing with your Roku Ultra and we apologized for any inconvenience this has caused.

If the behavior continues, review the suggestions for determining why Why does my Roku streaming device not recognize my external USB drive? | Official Roku Support

If the steps provided by the Support page still aren't helping, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
miltk1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

no.

the thing is, ive had no prob connecting many types of usb. all known, like samsung or seagate, or crucial, pny, and even thumb drives.

the problem only recently started.

the roku is listing something(movies) that is no longer connected to the device. so when i click on that listing, of course the roku cannot play it because it's not there. like i said,  i have to go through the whole power down/up, like i'm slapping the roku in the face to wake it up.

i just dont want to hassle a factory reset  but i might have to

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@miltk1 

Try backing out of Roku Media Player (use Back button on Roku remote) until you get to "Select Media Device" screen.  Then select the Media Device (your connected drive) and see it that refreshes the content and drive selection properly.

RMP remembers/caches the last action so if you just press the Home button, or connect another drive, it is looking for the last content loaded.  If I add or remove content to the drive, RMP doesn't recognize the content until I as least back out to the folder that the content is/was located within.  When I enter/select that folder again, RMP refereshes the folder and I can see the content added or removed.  If I don't back out and try to play a file that I removed, I will get an error.  Also, if I add content and don't back out/refresh the folder, I won't see the file I added although it is obviously on the drive.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102