Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glennm
Channel Surfer

image larger than tv boundaries

Jump to solution

Greetings

I bought my mother-in-law a Roku TV about 3 years ago. It has always worked well. Now, the image is too big for the boundary of the TV. She likes to read the words at the bottom and sides of news channels and they are cut off.

I went into Settings and tried all of the picture views available, but all cut off the image to varying degrees. I thought it was a resolution issue, but I couldn't find any setting to adjust them. One of your videos showed 'Display Type' as a way to change resolution. This is not available on her TV.

Any help would be appreciated.

Glenn

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: image larger than tv boundaries

Jump to solution

Have her call the cable company. They can walk it through with her rather then you driving an hour. She most likely went into the settings by accident. My mother does this all the time. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku does not make TV’s. They only make the software and sell it to companies such as TCL, ONN and Hisense. Who manufactured your TV? I own three TCL Roku TVs. There is no way to change the resolution it sets up automatically and is native to the size of a TV. What channel are you trying to watch on the news? Roku Channel? CNN? Cable TV? Antenna? Is she using a cable box hooked through HDMI? If so it’s probably a setting inside the cable box menu. What size TV is it? 

0 Kudos
glennm
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My apologies. It is a TCL. She uses cable and watches local news stations and sports.

I believe it is a 40-inch and that there is a cable box, most likely with HDMI cables. 

Good point about it being a cable box setting. Thank you for that. I'll check it out next time I'm there. We live over an hour away from her. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Have her call the cable company. They can walk it through with her rather then you driving an hour. She most likely went into the settings by accident. My mother does this all the time. 

glennm
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Great idea. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@glennm  If she wants to save money she can ditch cable and use something like Hulu + Live TV, YouTube TV or DirecTV Stream 

0 Kudos
glennm
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks Ello2022. I believe my wife has mentioned that, but she doesn't like change. I'll look into it.

g

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@glennm  I use YouTube TV myself and love it. 

0 Kudos
donm26

Jump to solution

I have the same problem as Glenn. Using a ROKU stick model 3930x connected via HDMI to a Panasonic Viera TV. I have tried unplugging and then resetting but nothing works All other ports on TV are normal. ISP is through AT&T and TV service i Directv. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@donm26  Glenn’s issue is with his Mothers Roku TV. Your using a Roku Stick so it’s entirely different. You have DirecTV? Please make your post with complete details and we can assist you Further 

0 Kudos