Solving playback issues

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krth101
Level 8

device loses connectivity

my roku streaming stick , which is about 6 months old, all of a sudden loses connectivity regularly. all of a sudden, with no warning, it drops signal. the only solution i have found is to unplug and plug it back in. any idea as to what might be going on? what is the warranty on this item?

thank you

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: device loses connectivity

Are you connecting to a 2.4 or 5GHz network?  Are you using the supplied power adapter and not the TV's USB port?  If your Wi-Fi channel is set to "Auto", try setting it to a specific channel.  If you're using 2.4GHz try 5GHz or vice versa.  2.4GHz only supports channels 1 to 11 and 5GHz supports channels 48 and below or 149 and above.  If you're using a router supplied by your ISP then they may have merged your networks under the ridiculous assumption that it works better.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
krth101
Level 8

Thank you for the feedback, although I am not sure exactly what all of it means. I have used the same setup since I got the device months ago and only in these past few weeks has this become an issue. The only thing that seems to work is to unplug the device and plug it back in. Do you think its the cable itself thats the problem and not the stick?

0 Kudos
renojim

What's the model number displayed under Settings->System->About?  Does it use the advanced wireless receiver (AWR)?  They've been known to go bad, but I think when they do you get no reception.

While you may not have changed anything, if your ISP provided your router then they may have.  They're known to muck with customers' settings.  You could also have a neighbor that made a change to their setup or got some new toy.  Wi-Fi problems are hard to diagnose because there's so many variables and so many devices can produce interference.  Microwave ovens and old cordless phones can cause problems, for example.  People are always saying, "nothing's changed", but that's never the case with the Wi-Fi environment.

0 Kudos
lasloja
Level 8

I am having the same issues as the person stated above. I am hard wired into the Router so I am not using the WIFI. But I did check it on a different TV with WIFI and have the same problem. My symptoms are as follows: I have a Roku Ultra. It worked fine for a couple of months. Then it started to completely shut down if I am not using it for a couple of minutes. For example I watch a network show on non-Roku and then go back to ROKU. I must then unplug it from the power source to reboot it. After reboot it works fine until I turn off the TV. After a very frustrating time with a number of ROKU customer service agents I was able to send back the unit and they sent me a new one. This new one is behaving in the exact same way. I have tried on different TVs and hard wire and WIFI and have the same result. Am I the only person to have this problem? Should I go back through the customer service challenge? Any suggestion would be most appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
renojim

@lasloja, yours is not the same problem.  What's the software version displayed under Settings->System->About?  If you have a power savings option under Settings->System->Power disable it and see if your problem goes away.

0 Kudos
krth101
Level 8

the version is 10.5 build 4201-50. what is the best way to contact roku customer service?

0 Kudos
renojim

@krth101, pretty much the only way to contact them is via the website:

https://support.roku.com/contactus

0 Kudos
lasloja
Level 8

renojim, Software version is 10.5.0 this should be the most up to date as this unit was just sent to me from ROKU. As you suggested I found the "power saver" was enabled. So I disabled it and it should solve the problem Thank you. No where in the directions/literature did it talk about Power Saver. You solved this in just a few minutes where I spent a couple of hours with ROKU customer support and three agents and had a unit replaced. Thank you again. I could never figure out why there was not an on/off switch for ROKU's. I do not know if you are paid by ROKU but you should. I hope you have a great day.

0 Kudos