Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daave

bug: PBS app rebooting Roku 4 (4400R)

sw v11.0.0 build 4193-17

This app regularly reboots the Roku while watching live streaming programming from through the PBS app. It does not behave this way with any of the other apps I use, to my recollection.

Whatever the issue with the PBS app that precipitates this, it seems that it should not be able to reboot the whole device, but at worst the app should die, and dump you back to the Home screen.

The specific behavior I observe is while using Private Listening - I don't recall if it happens without Private Listening, as that is how I most often use this particular channel.  I know it is about to happen because the sound on the Private Listening goes silent for perhaps 30s+, but the video continues to play.  After the period of silence, it eventually reboots the whole device.

It is not a guarantee that it happens, but it is certainly every few days.  I use other apps in between.  One day I had it reboot twice within 1 1/2 hrs.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: bug: PBS app rebooting Roku 4 (4400R)

When problems are confined to a particular channel, it may be that the channel didn't install properly, that it didn't update correctly, or that the installation has otherwise gotten corrupted. A reinstall may fix the problem, so give it a try.

Remove/reinstall procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.
  2. Press * key and choose Remove channel option.
    [Note: If this is a premium channel to which you subscribed through Roku, "Remove channel" will be replaced by "Manage subscriptions". Click this and follow the prompts to unsubscribe from this channel. (Don't worry. You'll still have use of it for the balance of your pre-paid subscdription period. You can resubscribe then if you like.) Now the ”Remove channel" menu item will be back and you can remove the channel. ]
  3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
    Restart the Roku to clear its memory. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find "System restart" under Roku menu path Settings > System > Power or under Settings > System'. Without the restart to clear the memory you may not get a clean reinstall.
  4. Reinstall the channel. Note it will be added to the END of the channel grid.
  5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

If the problem persists at this point, it typically means the current version of the channel app has a problem that must be addressed by the channel itself as they are the ones that create the Roku-compatible version of their app and provide it to Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X