Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HIDave1
Channel Surfer

YoutubeTV Fast Forward Freezes

This started yesterday. On YoutubeTV when I fast forward though a recorded show it works fine early in the show, but later in the show the problem arises. At some point I fast forward through commercials, and when I hit play it stops and the "standby" (buffering?) circle spins in the middle of the screen. Then after a minute or so the screen goes black except for the spinning circle and that's how it stays, stuck and spinning away, unresponsive.  It's only the fast forward that's problematic and that's only late in the show. I've tried it on a couple of YoutubeTV channels and at least ABC, PBS, my local Fox station, MSNBC, Bundesliga, and the NBA have the problem (I haven't had a chance to try others so I don't know how widespread it is). When I exit to the home screen then open YoutubeTV again any show that was stuck still is stuck in the same place but everything else works if I haven't fast forwarded it. I rebooted the Streambar and the problem persisted. I removed and reinstalled YoutubeTV and rebooted and the problem persisted. I unplugged the Streambar and plugged it back in half a dozen times and the problem persisted. Tonight I bit the bullet and did a factory reset and when I reinstalled YoutubeTV the problem was still there with the exact show that had been frozen, still frozen in the same spot. The network is a constant 46Mbps, and having reset just the Streambar, I guess everything is up to date. I've now hooked a laptop up to the TV so we don't have to deal with the Roku.  Thoughts? Netflix and Max seem to be working just fine and I have never seen anything buffer before on any of the services. Well, except for Apple TV which was unusable so we cancelled. Oh.. also, it's not a smart TV. Dumb as a post.

Labels (2)
60 REPLIES 60
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YoutubeTV Fast Forward Freezes

Hi @HIDave1,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We would like to gather more details regarding this concern that you have with the YouTube TV channel and investigate as well. Can you please provide the following information below?

• How far is your Roku streambar from your network router?
  • Have you tried to restart your modem and router?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
fs8972

I have the exact same issue with YouTube TV through my Streambar Pro.

Dave has described it perfectly. 

I suspect this is an issue with YTTV.

One thing that I can add:  the problem started over this past weekend (4/20 - 4/21). If I choose a recording from last Friday (4/19) or before, I can fast forward and resume watching a show just like I always could. 

Not sure what could have changed.

AKClark501
Channel Surfer

We're having the same problem with our Stream Bar, your description was spot on. Just started the last 4-5 days. We don't have this problem with our older rokus. 

We've restarted our router and the stream bar numerous times. This did not help the problem at all. 

Streaming is fine as long as we don't fast forward and rewind.

0 Kudos
stevebus
Channel Surfer

+1 to this…  exact same issue as well described above.  Just started this week.  So irritating 

0 Kudos
stevebus
Channel Surfer

@RokuJohnB   I’m not the original poster, but to answer your questions in my case…

1) about six feet

2) yes…  but this is the ONLY thing on my network having any issues at all, including other Roku apps and even YTTV on other traditional Roku devices.  Issue is 100% not a network problem.

only happens on my streambar and just started this week out of the blue.

Streambar reports it’s up-to-date when checking for updates.  Tried to uninstall and reinstall YTTV app as well.

any other info we can provide?  Version numbers, etc?  

HIDave1
Channel Surfer

Yup. Did the router reboot. The router is 10 inches from the Streambar. A little more if you're measuring middle to middle...  🙂

Also, 46 Mbps on the Streambar and 774 Mbps on the fiber from the router down to the phone company. If I put my phone on top of the Streambar on the same network I get 150 Mbps out to the real world on my phone but still only 44 to 48 on the Streambar. There's something that I obviously don't understand, but that's fine. 

0 Kudos
jjbarr18

I have the same problem on my soundbar pro.  Started last weekend as others have mentioned.  I use the same account on a Chromecast with Google TV and do not have the problem with the same YTV recorded program.  It seems it is either the Roku or the YTV app for Roku.

0 Kudos
AKClark501
Channel Surfer

Any solution for this issue with the sound bar? It needs to be addressed. Obviously something with the Roku player. All of our other Roku unit work fine.

AJ_42
Binge Watcher

Another +1 with this problem which is well described above.  For me this started happening on my 9102R Streambar after the 4/19 update to 13.0.0 build 24028 when using YoutubeTV version 2.23 build 115025068.

All recordings prior to 4/19 do not have this problem, nor does every recording since. Problem recordings each have a specific (and different) spot where fast forward works up to consistently, but past that point can not be played on my 9102R. On one recording that point was 15min into the show, another recording was 10 min in.  

Problem is unique to YouTubeTV on my StreaBar(and sound bar for others according to above) and does not happen on my Ultra, Express+, or Streaming stick (or FireTV)

0 Kudos