Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
decker12
Binge Watcher

Why is there still no 24.0 FPS Support on a Roku Ultra?

I unplugged my 2022 Roku Ultra about 6 months ago because it doesn't have 24.0FPS support. I've been using the built in WebOS apps on my LG C1 OLED.

Plugged in my Roku Ultra again today, reset it to factory defaults just to make sure, and decided to see if Roku ever added 24.0FPS support to their devices. Guess what? Nope, they sure haven't. Still no support for it.

Any 24.0FPS content (Andor, Ashoka, Rings of Power, She-Hulk, god knows what else) is still a stuttery mess on the Roku Ultra. Oh well, time to unplug the thing again I guess.

I gotta tell you, once you get used to ignoring all the ads and junk on WebOS, the thing is solid. Yeah, it doesn't do TrueHD or DTS-HD-MA, but no Smart TV OS does.

Yes, the free built in WebOS SmartTV features that come bundled with your TV are superior to my Roku Ultra.

Why?

3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why is there still no 24.0 FPS Support on a Roku Ultra?

@decker12-

Under "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" does your Roku have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item? If you don't have this setting, don't bother to read the rest of this post.

If this is enabled, the Roku circuitry sends the signal output at the refresh rate used by the original source material, commonly 24 fps (frames per second), 25 fps, 30 fps, 50 fps, or 60 fps. Every time the source refresh rate changes, the TV must adjust its display to accommodate the new rate, which on many sets results in a short blackout or other display disruption that some find objectionable.

This can happen when starting/stopping new programs, when going in/out/between commercials, or any other time the refresh rate changes.

If "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" is set OFF, the Roku converts and sends everything at 60 fps and the TV doesn't have to adjust on the fly and you don't get those frame rate transition disruptions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
decker12
Binge Watcher

If you re-read my post, you'll see I am talking about 24.000 FPS content.

Not 60fps, not 59.94fps, not 29.97, not 23.976 content.

I'm not rounding up from 23.976 and just saying "24 FPS". I mean exactly 24.00 FPS. Twenty Four Point Zero Zero Zero FPS content. 

The Roku Ultra does not support 24.00 FPS. If you play 24.00 FPS content - which there is plenty of right now (She Hulk, Rings of Power, Andor, Ashoka, etc) , it will stutter because the Roku Ultra does not support 24.00 FPS.

2021 Roku Ultra/2022 Streaming Stick 4K+ only support fractional refresh rates, so these shows are being output at 59.94Hz. This is preventing them from cleanly being converted to 59.94Hz via 3:2 pulldown, so because of that you're seeing regular and annoying micro-stutters every 40ish seconds, of a dropped frame to keep the video in sync with the audio.

That is the crux of my question. Why, after all these years, does the Roku Ultra not support 24.00 FPS?

MattJnon

@makaiguy 

This is not the issue, the issue is that with the auto adust refresh rate activated, the device plays back 24.000 fps content at 23.976 which is incorrect and results in dropped frame ! This a bug with the device.