Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why can't the devs add a "Clear Cache" to the channels like all the other streaming ap

Jump to solution

Sorry, you don't understand the difference in programming these devices. They are completely different languages, and what you ask may simply not be available in the Roku OS. Since I don't know the details of the OS, other than it's based on Linux, I have no idea if it's possible. Since I don't own any Fire TV devices, I can't say how they do it. I do have Android based Nvidia Shield players, and yes I can go into each app settings panel and clear the cache, but that still requires doing so for each individual app. And for all we know that works because of the way each app is programmed. So it still ends up being the responsibility of the app programmers, not the OS developers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Alatarius
Binge Watcher

Re: Why can't the devs add a "Clear Cache" to the channels like all the other streaming ap

Jump to solution

I tried to ask Crunchyroll if the can add a clear cache option to Roku device to prevent having to unplug and re-plug in my roku box and was told that is not in their programming since the cache is stored on the roku box and not on their end and they referred me back to you to add it to the roku box since they can't program something for a device that they don't control. So I guess that is the responsibility of the people who program the Roku boxes and TVs and not the streaming services.

Obviously you know nothing about how caching works. The Roku box is the device/browser that the cache is stored on. Yet something as simple as a clear cache button is beyond the capabilities of the Roku programming/dev teams.

Apparently this issue will never be solved because the programmers are eith to lazy or not smart enough to do that for their own devices.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

And the person at Crunchyroll doesn't understand programming either. I agree the cache is on the device, not at their server end. But the app itself still comes from Crunchyroll, and they are the ones that need to program the ability to clear the cache files their app creates. They are saying they don't control the Roku box. That's only accurate for the OS itself. They control the functionality of their app/channel, and only they can do what you want.

The app has to clear its cache, not the OS. It's the same as the browser example I provided before. The Windows OS can't clear the browser cache, each browser application on the computer has to clear its own cache files. The Roku is no different. If I clear the cache files under Edge, the cache files from Chrome are still there. Only Chrome can clear the cache files it creates. And from a programming standpoint, you wouldn't want the OS to clear everything with a single function. There are times you might want the files cleared for one app, but not for another. So it's simpler (and potentially safer) to let the app developer clear their own cache files. 

The Roku OS developers are not being lazy here. It's the app developers that are being lazy. And yes, I do understand how caching files work. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
whd13b

Jump to solution

I agree. Netflix keeps crashing on my TCL ROKU TV, and every article I read keeps telling me to clear the cache. Well there is no option to clear the cache of Netflix app. Why not? To say that is a Netflix issue is ridiculous. The cache is stored on the ROKU TV so ROKU should have a feature to allow you to clear it without having to reset your entire TV. Well guess what? They used to have this feature because I've done it on older TCL ROKU TVs I've had in the past. This is a new thing.